cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hamachi - P2P or VPN?

Lozart
Dabbler

Hamachi - P2P or VPN?

As the title says, does Hamachi get prioritised as a VPN and if so which port should it be set to to avoid problems (4500/10000, TCP or UDP or ?) or is it classified as P2P traffic?
11 REPLIES 11
scootie
Grafter

Re: Hamachi - P2P or VPN?

check with wireshark to see what prioity it is given. i suspect it will be gold
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml
Lozart
Dabbler

I'd love to......see my previous post about Wireshark!
scootie
Grafter

are you the W7 64bit user having problems with wireshark?
am just haing a play with logme in's hamachi now
Lozart
Dabbler

I am the very same user with Wireshark fail!  Grin
Accepted wisdom from the interwebs is to set Hamachi to use UDP port 10000 as that port is set aside by PN for such purposes, just wondering what PN officially class Hamachi as so I can find out if it is being prioritised wrongly or not.
scootie
Grafter

unforently i cant get any hamachi traffic to pass out over the web, my 2 hamachi clients seem very clued up that there both on the local network
Installed WS on my work lappy (Vista business x32) and it works fine, so I'll try and run a trace with that tonight.

have you got your hamachi client on the works lappy?
Lozart
Dabbler

Not yet but I will have later to test it.
Lozart
Dabbler

Right.
I don't have the WS traces with me, but I ran a Hamachi session last night and found a few things.
Basically I have one friend with a single computer connected to Virgin by modem - I get a direct connection to him with very low pings
Anyone else that I connect to with a router goes via a relayed tunnel and I get a consistently poor connection to them - high pings that bounce up and down.
I found a bit in the LogMeIn faq about how it makes connections:
Which ports and protocols does LogMeIn Hamachi2 use?
Hamachi2 uses several ports to achieve connectivity to the mediation servers, and to peers.
Server Connectivity
TCP 12975 (initiator port)
TCP 32976 (session port)
If the above ports cannot be used to achieve a connection, Hamachi2 will try again using SSL (TCP 443).
Peer Connectivity
Peer connectivity has several methods and ports.  By default, Hamachi2 will broker a peer connection over UDP.  UDP uses random ports by specification, so it is not possible to open a single port for peer connections for UDP.
If UDP direct connectivity cannot be established, Hamachi2 will try to initiate a relayed UDP connection.  This is done with the target of:
UDP 17771 (relay connection port)
If UDP direct and relayed methods fail, it is somewhat unlikely that TCP connectivity will work, however, Hamachi2 will try it.  In some environments, a hardware firewall is used to block traffic on specific ports, but not protocols.  As such, Hamachi2 will try to broker a connection between peers over TCP 443 (non-SSL)
And lastly, Hamachi2 will try a relayed connection over TCP 443 (non-SSL) before giving the user a message that the peer is unreachable.
Note:
TCP peer connections are very unlikely to be successful in cases where UDP connections would not work, because the triggers for them not working are the same (router issues, improperly configured NAT, multiple NAT devices on both ends).
Additional Notes
You can set a static UDP listening port by configuring it in Preferences > Detailed Configuration, but note that this will require you to forward that port's UDP traffic from your router to the machine, if you are behind a router.  Note that this port isonly used for server communication.  Also note that if you have multiple machines to do this on, you will need to choose different ports for each to avoid conflicts.

So now I'm wondering if the difference is coming from router set ups as the people that connect via a router and have multiple machines on a network behind said router seem to be the ones having issues. Anyone got any ideas?
Lozart
Dabbler

Problem solved!
Uninstalled Hamachi2, went back to Hamachi1, forwarded port 10000 UDP and TCP. Set local ports accordingly in Hamachi and set the peer options to local forwarding enabled. Works a treat now!
Lozart
Dabbler

Anyone tell me where I can find what the hex values for the different types of traffic are? Please?
SparckZero
Grafter

Lozart
Dabbler

In that case I think Hamachi is getting set as Silver - "Unclassified traffic" 0x40. Poor show.
Thanks for that SparckZero.