cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Mode - On or Off???

deadlydiego

Gaming Mode - On or Off???

Hi
Should gaming mode on the router settings be enabled or disabled for best performance with use of Xbox One?Huh
What are the positives and negatives to having this enabled?
Regards
Marc
11 REPLIES 11
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Gaming Mode - On or Off???

Hi Marc,
Having your router in Gaming Mode should open up the most common ports required for gaming. If you ever have any NAT Type issues, using Gaming Mode can sometimes help.
There aren't any drawbacks as such, if you are using a Games Console, you may notice a better experience with Gaming Mode enabled Smiley
deadlydiego

Spot on Chris, thanks very much for your response on this issue. I will keep my router on gaming mode.
ghos7em1
Grafter

plusnet will tell you to turn gaming mode on ,but fact is it does nothing.it opens a shed load of ports which your console dont use.i telnet into router and checked Angry
steviebaby1
Dabbler

@ghos7em1
What is your view on putting the PS4 into a DMZ on the router?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It is only safe to put consoles into DMZ, as doing that removes it from the routers firewall protection.  Never do that with a pc unless you have a Good software firewall that controls both incoming traffic and outgoing, plus you know how to set it up correctly.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
ghos7em1
Grafter

yea my xbox is in dmz and ive never been hacked m8,if your using technicolor router then its the best place to put it Cool
steviebaby1
Dabbler

Hi.
How do you go on if you have more than one device and want both of them in a DMZ?
Foe example, I have a PS3 and PS4. Putting the PS4 in a DMZ is easy, just make sure I select the right connection through the IP identifier in the list of connected network devices, and make a note of the IP number (I take a picture of the big screen TV with my mobile for that) and then just select the DMZ option in the router settings and again make sure it's the right IP address and hit the "Enable" button on the rooter.
However, after doing that, the button is then greyed out?  Does this mean we can only have one PS in a DMZ at a time, and that I have to fire up the PC in order to change the settings each time to DMZ either the PS3 or PS4?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

You can only have one console/pc etc in DMZ at a time usually, unless you spend a lot of money on a router that can or if you set up a Linux pc to act as a firewall I believe.
steviebaby1
Dabbler

Hi.
Oh dear, then thought of having to run upstairs every time I want to switch from the PS3 to the PS4 to enable then disable the DMZ because of swapping console game play is making me quiver.
If that's the case then Gus, should I be running the Technicolour in "Gaming Mode"?  And will that work when I am using either the PS3 or PS4, obviously not both at the same time, but will that do anything for me?
Many Thanks.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

No idea I don't have any consoles, but its a failing of the routers firewall as its next to useless for gaming if you require to port forward via the web interface.  But you could try the telnet path http://community.plus.net/library/gaming/increasing-gaming-compatability-with-the-thomson-tg585v8-xb...; the commands for the Technicolor are the same as the Thomson
ghos7em1
Grafter

you dont need dmz just check what ports the game uses then telnet into router and bind the udp ports then use upnp,i have 2 xboxs both have open nat.dont enable gaming mode because it does nothing all it did for me was cause lag.i played with setting for last 2 months to see what was best.dmz and gaming mode caused me problems,hope this helps Smiley