Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Issues Latency/Ping

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Gaming Issues Latency/Ping

The ping to 192.168.1.254 is mainly to check there is no latency in your house, so can probably stop doing those anyway.

What the results are shoing is the latency of your connection seems fine, pings come back in the speed they should and the traceroute isn't showing really anything that is causing a problem.

However, if all xbox games and PC games are causing high latency then there must be something still causing an issue.

One possibility is if the IP range you have was one of the old US address ranges it might be trying to match you to US based servers rather than UK ones (or in game do you explicitly chose which ones?)

Can you go to https://www.whatismyip.com/ and say that IP you get ? (can leave the last number off the end). 

MrSilver
Pro

One other test, can you force it to either play on server with lowest ping or change your in game region to east coast USA? That should give you a 150-200 ping to interested to see if it also stays at 500

cmlcoughlin91
Grafter

Thanks again for all your on-going help on this. My IP address is as follows: 7170.XXX

Since trying to resolve this issue, I forced my game to put me on Western Europe server (closest) and have just tried the East US server and the results seem much the same? I can't say it was any better or worse if i'm completely honest. Ping seemed exactly the same in game..

cmlcoughlin91
Grafter

Interestingly, when actually launching the game and in the start menu, you can view your connection to the server, which normally when playing on West EU server, I could have anywhere between 15-90ms, the same goes for select Xbox games that will let you view your connection to that given server. The problem only starts once you launch into an online, where the ping just skyrockets.. Not sure if this could indicate anything else..

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

its probably not your connection but just the servers

also people have been complaining about ubisoft servers being junk every few months, likely as number of players changes and ubisoft just doesn't have the bandwidth to cope/

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
MrSilver
Pro

@cmlcoughlin91 wrote:

Interestingly, when actually launching the game and in the start menu, you can view your connection to the server, which normally when playing on West EU server, I could have anywhere between 15-90ms, the same goes for select Xbox games that will let you view your connection to that given server. The problem only starts once you launch into an online, where the ping just skyrockets.. Not sure if this could indicate anything else..

Im assuming the initial latency you see if either the game pinging the server or querying it for map rotations etc. and measuing response times.

When you start the game the latency is likely to be checked by the actual game data coming back.

So either plusnet has something in the network that is chewing up rainbox six packets and adding 500ms latency to them, or as the video above shows there are a bunch of bad servers underpowered that have bad routing form them. 

If you are saying though its all PC and xbox games all them same then im a bit stumped tbh, the latency of the link looks fine.

One thing you could try is do you have a friend that has a different router you can try, just in case any of the QOS settings or anything is having a dislike to the packets that are being sent, e.g. if they are being tagged as a high qos type but the router is either not able to handle that much or it treating as low priority. and so packets are bursting through, but of a long shot but if you can try another router that would be worth ruling out.

What router do you currently use too?

nanotm
Pro

from his ping logs its not a good one....

MrSilver
Pro

nothing in there that indicates he is getting 500ms latency on traffic, so rules out either the hub adding latency or the connection to that extent...

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

nanotm
Pro

the fact it has jumps at all indicates its doing a poor job, the local hops shouldn't be jumping around at all..

when I was having connection problems my logs showed like that, at the corresponding times inside my router itself there was a stream of errors like my active Ethernet connection switching off then on then off again, so I contacted the manufacturer who sent me a replacement that doesn't do the same thing Smiley

so either his router is faulty, something is saturating the local network or it doesn't have the horsepower required to keep all his devices connected (I'm going to say its the first or last option, mostly because ISP stuff is cheap and cheerful and woefully under estimates the number of connected devices a person might have) because the middle one is going to be caused by something new being added either directly to the network or to the home at the same time the problems started, and if that were the case any rational person would of immediately noticed that sudden change and tested by removing power from the new device to see if the problem went away then got it replaced as being defective .....

cmlcoughlin91
Grafter

The router is a Sagemcom 2704N Plusnet and this is one that has been changed in the past 2 weeks since plusnet sent me a new one after the issues started. This made no change initially but I have done some tests in wireshark that PN requested and since this morning they have increased my Signal Noise Ratio (SNR), which although this is probably the third time they claim to have done this, it seems to have helped from what I have tested over the past hour. I am going to test this over the next 24 hours and will post results, but it has been mentioned before that the router could just be a [-Censored-]  model and getting a better one could well help...

MrSilver
Pro

Hmm well let's hope it's stable for you!
cmlcoughlin91
Grafter

Hi All. So I heard back from PN on Saturday with the below response: 

Dear Mr XXXXX,

Thank you for your patience. I have looked into this issue and it looks to be an issue with the SnR which was not correct on previous attempts to reset.

I have put this through and it has completed, please monitor the connection and let us know if the issue is the same.

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at Contact Us or alternatively, you can get answers to most questions using our support pages by going to Help and Support where you can find helpful guides for most issues.

Kind regards,

This has been the most success I have had since this first became an issue. My average ping has now come down from a consistent 300-500ms to a now ~100-150ms (still a considerably high average), and I do still experience spikes that can be upto ~500ms maybe for a few seconds every few minutes. Although the problem has become much more bearable, I am a long way from the seamless connection that I had experienced in the Months between February 2016, when I initially joined PN, through to December 2016, when the issues began.

In the case that there is nothing more for PN to offer, I am torn between moving to BT or just upgrading router (and staying with PN) in the hope that this could solve some of stability issues.

FYI @Kelly

Kelly
Hero

HI, those pings look fine tbh.  I'd expect the odd jump in the response from the router if it was busy (pings aren't high priority).   Can you do it again, but for the tbb pingbox again?

ping -n5000 pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com

this should show us more of what's happening after your router.

(apologies in the delay in replying, I'm only working 1 day a week atm)

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero

Just PM'd you.

Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

FYI, the adviser on your ticket lowered your SNR To 12DB.  I'm still seeing the errors in the little bit of TCP traffic in your latest wireshark, but there isn't much TCP traffic in there.  How big are the other captures you couldn't send?

Kelly Dorset