cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

By day open Nat, by night moderate

shure
Grafter

By day open Nat, by night moderate

As the title suggests.  Pretty much every evening my Nat type drops to Moderate, only to magically resurrect to Open the following day.  Any ideas?
edit: sorry, should have said, running Xbox on unlimited ADSL line, around 6MB up, 0.3 down
4 REPLIES 4
Blim
Grafter

Re: By day open Nat, by night moderate

when you turn the xbox off and on, your local (lan) ip changes and any ports you have opened are linked to one ip?
Do you use DMZ on your router? I would recommend manually setting up the xbox with a static ip, the same one you set for DMZ on the router if you havent already.
shure
Grafter

Thanks for your reply Blim.  Yes, I already have static IP assigned to the Xbox and also have port forwarding set up.  Using a Netgear DG834PN as was having big problems with the Technicolor router constantly dropping connections.  Just seemed strange that my nat type keeps changing in the evenngs
Blim
Grafter

It dose seem strange. Is anything els running on your network at the time it changes? maybe the ports are being used by a different device?
Do you use DMZ? This will bypass the firewall and open all ports regardless. It would be interesting to see if you still get this problem when using DMZ, that would be very strange then. Try DMZ and turn off UPnP. But UPnP is used for the xbox so you might wonna turn this back on if you have no luck!
Edit: The fact its ok the next day might indicate its a conflict of port forwarding created by UPnP. UPnP is used to automatically forward port to a divice and maybe it reseting the rules over night when it not being used. So turning this off if you havnt already might help. I have to turn his off because I get kicked from some games for what ever reason.
Also have you checked that your router has a newer fireware? Only do this if you know what your doing thou or you could brick it.
lowlatency
Grafter

Is this Fifa by any chance? cause if it is you always start with open then once you get signed out of PSN/EA it WILL change to to moderate all the time and will only go back to open if you quit the game and start it again, even though moderate firewall on Fifa is perfectly normal still