cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my IP changed?

FIXED
danbottomburp

Why has my IP changed?

On the 24th at 1am my internet went off and the IP changed, i know this as i use BQM monitor for multiple reasons, i am curious why my IP would change

I know it would if there were a firmware update and i was using their router, i don't use their router again for multiple reason, the major one being its just rubbish

Anyway i don't want my IP changing like this and would like to know why it did, it was fine from Feb 3rd until March 24th

In comparison my Virgin media monitor has been fine for well over a year 

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Why has my IP changed?

Fix

Unless you have requested (and paid for) a static IP, then if your connection drops e.g Openreach maintenance, then there is a possibility your IP address will change when it reconnects.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@danbottomburp Welcome to the forums. Why did your 'internet go off', how long did it go off for, and are you on a dynamic or fixed IP? I'm guessing you are on dynamic, and if you are, even though these are now relatively 'sticky', they can change.

John
danbottomburp

This sounds like it could be the culprit, my plusnet internet is only used for the Gaming machine in the office, everything else is connected to another connection so i was not aware of it going down until checking my BQM monitor just earlier

Its a hassle as when this happens i need to set up a new monitor, its not the end of the world but i like a good history on the monitor for comparing and checking things 

Thanks for the reply  

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@danbottomburp 

A static IP costs a one off £5.00.

Brian

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@danbottomburp - why not create a Dynamic DNS hostname using one of the many free providers, configure that on your hub (assuming it has the functionality; the Plusnet hubs do), and then point your BQM to the Dynamic DNS hostname?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵