cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP phone issue

Vulpecula
Hooked

VOIP phone issue

I'm returning to Plusnet now that they can provide Full Fibre services, but I think I may have been caught out. I had to connect with BT when the fibre was first installed and I received two VOIP phones as part of the package. I have just learned from Plusnet customer support that Plusnet don't provide any telephony service with their Full Fibre package and I have to contact a third party VOIP provider in the hope that my existing STD style number can be ported.

The lady I spoke to recommended a company called "SIP Phone", but it doesn't seem to exist. Has anyone connected with a VOIP company of this name, or can you recommend a good, reasonably priced VOIP provider that partners well with Plusnet? It's just for occasional domestic use.

Posted in hope! 

Tony

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: VOIP phone issue

The lady I spoke to recommended a company called "SIP Phone", but it doesn't seem to exist

Never heard of them!, there are companies called 'Sipgate' and 'Voipfone' though ?.

Sipgate ( https://www.sipgate.co.uk/ ) used to be the go to recommendation but they have recently dropped their PAYG product and now only have a £10/m plan with inclusive calls. A & A are worth a look { https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/ } , they still have a PAYG offering, £1.20/m for an incoming number.

The other problem I forsee is that the BT Voip phones are PROBABLY locked to BT Digital voice and will not be useable with a third party voip service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ScottyKernow
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

BT probably loaned the phones to you (unless you actually paid for them)

They will asked for them back when you leave them, same as the BT hub

Vulpecula
Hooked

Thank you, yes, it's very odd. She claimed to have the company up on her screen and said it was sipphone.com, but I can't find that anywhere.

Many thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into those. I expect BT will take the handsets back anyway, the crucial thing is to get the number ported. 

Vulpecula
Hooked

Oh yes, I fully expect the phones and BT hub will have to be returned, my primary concern is not to lose the number. Thanks for flagging it up, though.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

my primary concern is not to lose the number

That MIGHT be tricky to do without a break in service.

If you port the number before the transfer of FTTP to PlusNet, then it will likely cease the BT service including the FTTP. When the FTTP is transferred it will cease the BT service which means the number isnt active any more and so a port is no longer possible. 

I hope I'm wrong but, as it stands, porting a number to voip is a bit of a Catch 22!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ScottyKernow
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I went through the exact same thing as you
In the end i decided to lose the landline number even though I've had it for 35+ years, dealing with BT was just too much hassle
There are romours that PlusNet might change their mind in the future regarding keeping numbers, if so too late for me
Best of luck
Vulpecula
Hooked

Yes, a break looks inevitable. I've spent a lot of today talking to A&A, recommended elsewhere in this thread as a provider worth looking at and they have been very helpful! They are sending out configured handsets tomorrow to replace the BT ones and once the port request goes through I should be able to swap the new kit in and be back up and running pretty quickly. At least in theory! 

Thanks for contributing!

Vulpecula
Hooked

Well, I've started down the road with a company called A&A. They seem to think it's possible and practicable, so fingers crossed! 

Thank you for contributing!