cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The impossible installation...

icethudog
Dabbler

The impossible installation...

So I thought it would be worth sharing my experience of the fttp trial.

Last year, openreach laid a fttp cable about half a mile down a road on which we are the only property. Great - we don't have fast internet here so we have the trial a go, and signed up in January.

A month later the installer came, said no, sent a surveyor. He turned up a month later, said no another surveyor was needed. Another few weeks on and he came up with a plan to install.

But... This plan was too expensive and so we were asked to pay about £1100 for a test rod that MIGHT work, failing that it would be probably double that again for overhead work. We would have to pay for this. Now I totally get why Plusnet wouldn't be willing to cover this - it's clearly not commercial - and we obviously couldn't stump up this much either. Hence the trial was cancelled.

Buy my point is, I can stand in my kitchen and see the fibre nodes a few metres from the window. How can openreach justify rolling out half a mile of cable, yet the last 5 metres is too expensive? And, has anyone else had this problem?

Quite frankly, more of a than a question!
28 REPLIES 28
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: The impossible installation...

Can you post a picture from your window of the fibre node?

Brian

krusty
Rising Star

When you had the surveys done, did you mention the fttp nodes, and also i'm a bit surprised that only one premise would be for fttp..

Something isn't quite right.. (not actually saying you are wrong) just that it doens't currently make any sense!

icethudog
Dabbler

Here are the nodes - there's a break at this one that could be used, but apparently they would actually take it from the next pole, which cannot be seen from the window (trees block line of sight).

I agree it seems bizarre and doesn't make much sense!
bmc
Hero

@icethudog

The fibre cable follows your phone line so should come from the pole that supplies your house.

Could you take a close up of the "node" hanging from this pole - I'm just looking to see if it looks like a Distribution Point though if your house is the only one of the "pole" it might look slightly different (smaller?) from what I would expect.

Another suggestion would be to "walk" the line and confirm the fibre is connection all the way back to a DP or Aggregation Point.

Just evidence in case someone at PlusNet can follow this up with OpenReach.

Brian

krusty
Rising Star

@bmc yeah that looks way too large for single dwelling.

@icethudog as bmc said can you take some close up of that pole and the other one you mentioned. You say your house is the only one on the road. Where do the cables that go right to left continue to ?

Secondly what does the dslchecker say ? fttp on demand or wbc fibre ? If those are fibre connectors then, you shouldn't be presented with a £1k bill for 35m of fibre ... it id Fttp On demand that you were quoted then that would be correct.

icethudog
Dabbler

To the left is to the pole where they would connect to us from, that's where there is no line of sight so would need to go underground, or install new poles. We have no overhead cables now, they go under adjoining farmland and the £1k was to rod and rope as a "test" to see if that way was still an option... If not, full digging operation to get the install.

Will take a picture of the node tomorrow as dark now, but the DSL checker is WBC - hence why Plusnet accepted us onto the trial (with free installation!).
bmc
Hero

Beginning to make a bit more sense now. I assume the cables were buried a good while back so they are uncertain if the ducts are clear (if indeed ducts exist at all).

Still don't understand why they put the cable in on the poles without checking the whole route in advance. Was the install part of a local Superfast Broadband project? If so, you could complain to them about things.

Brian

krusty
Rising Star

a friendly chat to the farm owner may help you out ?

As Bmc said if its part of a superfast council install, you may be able to do more regarding it as the design atm, is against take up ..

icethudog
Dabbler

Node picture attached.

No, it's just an Openreach install, no local arrangement. Farmer has no issue with access but it would cost way more to dig a new trench, and no line of sight.

So where does this leave us? Forever to be metres from fttp but stuck with dial up speeds? I can't see we will ever want to pay that much!
icethudog
Dabbler

Try again for attachment!
krusty
Rising Star

no i was suggesting, that if the farmer was happy and also if his has the equipment to do the trench and maybe lay the duct itself. Its been done before and may bring the excess costs down..  Sorry for being ultra vague! As that looks like the connectorised install the only issue will be if it will exceed 160m ! Assuming that is for your own property and no one else and theres no joint boxes ..

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Even when zooming in on that photo, I don't see anything that I recognise as a CBT, at least not in comparison to the various sizes I've seen in my area.  Wink

bmc
Hero

@RobPN

What's a CBT?

Doing an online search brings up pages of results for therapy

Brian

icethudog
Dabbler

House just behind the fence/trees.

I think asking the farmer to install might be pushing it though. They're friendly, but there's a limit!! 😀