cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Throttling on FTTP connection

Clint_1701-A
Dabbler

Speed Throttling on FTTP connection

• Weird issue on my FTTP connection since moving from 145Mbps to 300Mbps.

Whenever I download anything (wired or wireless) it starts off as it should around 35-38MBps and then will start going down to about 1-2MBps. I have a 3 computers and tried it on each to rule out a local computer issue but no, same problem exists for all 3.

I have rebooted the routed twice, tried disconnecting all other connected devices leaving just 1 but still the same.

For example, I will be downloading a game through steam - it initially creeps up to about 37MBps which is fine, but then will drop to 0 for about 10-20 secs and then it will start to edge back up but maybe to about 15MBps and then it will do it again and next time no more than 2MBps.

This problem exists with any site with a large download, so it can't be every site on the internet, the problem has to be more of a local ISP / BT exchange issue for sure.

This is all very frustrating and to me I believe that my connection is being throttled at the ISP end somehow or failing that I have a faulty router. I will swap out the plusnet hub2 router with an older hub1 type and see if that is any better and will let you know the results.

If anyone at plusnet sees this, can you provide any further help at all?

21 REPLIES 21
Clint_1701-A
Dabbler

Re: Speed Throttling on FTTC connection

Sorry, it's late at night and I realised the subject and first line should read Full Fibre FTTP not FTTC Sad

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Moderators Note

Typo corrected.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Clint_1701-A
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick,

I clicked the thumb as you requested but it has marked it as fixing my problem, it's only fixed my typo lol.

Can you remove this?

Thank you

Moderators Note

Fix removed

Clint_1701-A
Dabbler

Re: Speed Throttling on FTTP connection

I replaced my Plusnet Hub2 with an Archer VR600 V1 in the end and got it working fine in the end after remembering it no longer needs to act as a modem, as the BT ONN box does this.

Anyway, long story short, the problem still exists Sad

At a loss as this is so frustrating as waiting for a game to download is no quicker as to when I was on 145Mbps (albeit a tad slower).

I have put my plusnet router back in place now as the archer is too old, although it's wifi is a lot better.

Help Plusnet!! Smiley

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

What does a wired speedtest using the Ookla tester ( speedtest.net ) show ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Clint_1701-A
Dabbler

Hey @MisterW 

Weirdly on speedtest.net it shows the speed as it should be.

The problem I am having is when downloading any large files from anywhere, the speed starts to drop off after about 30 seconds or so and as said, this happens on any computer connected to it.

Very frustrating...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

In that case I would suggest that the limitation is the speed at which the downloaded data can be stored. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Clint_1701-A
Dabbler

No point in having a fast connection if that is the case, as this is the whole purpose of having this faster speed, but I value your response @MisterW Smiley

There must be something throttling this at the exchange end in my opinion.

Oh well, I live in hope that this improves at some point, especially when I come to download "Starfield" upon release later in the year!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

I can't explain the issue, but if it helps, I've ran a test and it's not showing any issues or signs of congestion.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTP_SERVICE_0000
Description Service is OK in the Openreach network. Please check the customer home environment set up.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status Up
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
DP Type External
Speed Test Rules Satisfied Yes
Measured DS Speed (Mbit/s) 328Mbps
Measured US Speed (Mbit/s) 49Mbps
Speed Test Outcome Description Speed test was run successfully.
Recommendation For Next Steps The Openreach speed test has completed successfully and the customer speed is as shown. Please check customer devices and their locations in the home or premises to ensure they are performing at their best.
CVLAN Traffic Status CVLAN restored properly.
Congested PON NA
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Clint_1701-A
Dabbler

Hey @Gandalf 

Thank you for running the tests on my line and confirming nothing is wrong.

I will just have to live in hope that this improves in time then.

Thanks for all for your responses Smiley

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, what are you using to download these big files?

How big are the files?

If it is a Windows PC, try temporarily turning off any antivirus/security software you may be using to see if it makes any difference?

Is it a Dell branded laptop?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Clint_1701-A 

PlusNet do not throttle traffic - nor do OpenReach

Brian

Clint_1701-A
Dabbler

Hi @bill888 

These files are from multiple sources, from Steam, Epic Games, GOG Galaxy, list goes on...

I use Panda Dome and I have turned this off but still the problem exists.

No to a dell branded laptop. I have multiple self built PCs as this is what I do for a living and it happens on them all unfortunately Sad

I will just put up with it for now, but appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Clint_1701-A
Dabbler

Hi @bmc 

Thank you for this, duly noted Smiley

I thought they didn't, it's just what's happening seems to point to it but hey ho must be something else...

Appreciate your comment though - thank you! Smiley