cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Definitive Answer on Telephone Number Porting when Taking up FTTP

FIXED
optex
Hooked

Re: Request for Definitive Answer on Telephone Number Porting when Taking up FTTP

Everytime have a renewed my contract, they have always charged me double, than the agreed price,!!,

Can't get the bill right,,😁
TimSmall
Grafter

Re: Request for Definitive Answer on Telephone Number Porting when Taking up FTTP

A reasonable workaround for this could be found I should think.  How about one of:

1. Currently Plusnet waive cancellation fees if you port to BT.  Why not also offer to waive cancellation fees if you open a separate distinct Plusnet account to purchase the FTTP?
  2. Alternatively permit the customer to keep the copper line (maybe attach an ADSL service to it if need-be) as a separate account, so that they can then port the number out to a separate provider.

Finally about 10 years ago, I found a VOIP provider that was willing to apply for my already disconnected BT number from the available pool. The fee was about £20 as far as I remember, and they got the number successfully (this wasn't guaranteed, someone could have beat them to it, but I think if it was done immediately after disconnection then it was a pretty good bet).

p.s. personally it would be a real irritant for me, since I'd prefer to keep both my landline number and my Plusnet static IP address.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

We aren't yet able to create a new account for FTTP and we've no plans to share atm on what things will look like. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cameldazzler
Grafter

tis a slow old process this getting systems ready business 😛

although looking at how long it has taken to get this far, im guessing will be a long time yet 

TimSmall
Grafter

@cameldazzler wrote:

im guessing will be a long time yet

Openreach currently plan to no longer offer new lines with analogue voice over copper ("POTS") after Sept 2023.

They also plan to turn all remaining analogue voice over copper services off in Dec 2025.

I'm guessing Plusnet will start offering FTTP (and FTTC without POTS) as a new product before Sept 2023 (or they won't be able to sign up any new customers, or keep existing customers that are moving house).

Plusnet have got to come up with some reasonable way (other than migrating to BT) of letting customers keep their existing landline number, otherwise they'll lose a chunk of customers I think.

Perhaps they could offer to port the number to a Plusnet SIM card?

Mark63
Rising Star

@TimSmall wrote

Plusnet have got to come up with some reasonable way (other than migrating to BT) of letting customers keep their existing landline number, otherwise they'll lose a chunk of customers I think.

Perhaps they could offer to port the number to a Plusnet SIM card?

There are multiple reasons why that's not possible, and for starters you cannot have a SIM hosting a geographical phone number (01xx, 02xx )

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

There will be a crunch point at some point when POTS is withdrawn and replaced with Voip, and it remains to be seen what plusnet are going to do, both with new customers and old.

If i wanted to re-join plusnet i couldnt as im in a Fibre only area , although for me, keeping the number is also critical so again another issue there in re-joining plusnet.

Looking at whats on offer, or to be more precise being tested Talk Talks three pronged approach seems to be an extremely good offer and solution , that being a three pronged approach:

Plug your phone into the router just as you would with BTs digital voice offering

Plug your phone into an adapter (ATA) which then plugs into any router, meaning you can use your own kit and a small adapter would also cut down on postage as well as reduce the need to recycle/send out new kit

and possibly the most intriguing ( especially if it works with  or as well as the above) a smartphone app which makes your mobile ring as well , meaning that in theory you should be able to take your landline where ever you go.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@pint 

When (ok IF) PlusNet offer FTTP to new customers you would simply sign up to a new account. Then arrange to port your current phone number to a VOIP provider like Sipgate.

If already on FTTP I'd imagine something similar. New account with PlusNet and port you number before your old account ceases.

Brian

Deltanet
Dabbler

Hi,

I wonder if you could please help with a similar question.

I'd like to move my Plusnet service from FTTC (Unlimited Fibre Extra with landline) to FTTP and keep my landline phone number. I understand from the thread that Plusnet won't be offering a digital voice service, so I'd have to port my phone number to a 3rd party VOIP provider.

What's the best way to achieve that, so my broadband service isn't cancelled when the telephone number port request is received? I have to maintain a live phone service to enable the port and retain my number, but would need Plusnet to change my service to broadband only (FTTC) and not cancel it, then upgrade to FTTP. 

Any advice appreciated

Thank you 

deekayw
Grafter

A new topic was started yesterday 4/8/22 - Full fibre now available to new customers

This is the link for getting Full Fibre in that post and may help you

https://www.plus.net/broadband/full-fibre/ 

Although the topic is New Customers it's also a useful link for existing PlusNet customers and mentions retaining landline but i've not gone into it too deeply.

Another benefit of this link is that it gives different speeds for existing customers to what it shows for new customers.   For example I upgraded to FF in June at 300 speed which was £40, however when trying out the link above and selecting Existing customer it showed I could get the 500 speed for the same money (the 300 speed was showing a few quid less than the original £40) so I selected that yesterday and Hey Prestol my new 500 speed is working beautifully from 07:45 this morning.

Deltanet
Dabbler

Thanks @deekayw 

That's good to know. Great speed!
Looking into this further, it seems that the only viable option to keep the same landline number is to transfer to BT, or another provider who offers FTTP and digital voice. If you are within a contract at the moment and speak to Plusnet support, they can arrange a transfer to BT without early termination charges.

optex
Hooked

I have to totally disagree Plusnet is not a budget brand, I had news yesterday brsk broadband, will it be starting to put full fibre in my area,

They have a phone line package, their prices are a lot cheaper than Plusnet, and it's symmetrical line, will be migrating over to them,
rugrat2

I'm currently on ADSL service but can now upgrade to FTTP- do the same porting rules apply for my landline numberv? i.e. I want to keep my PN telephone number

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @rugrat2

Yeah the same rules would apply whether you're on ADSL or FTTC if you upgrade to FTTP. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
deekayw
Grafter

I know this isn't related but can someone guide me how to start a new post please - can't seem to find the option on screen

Thank you