Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Definitive Answer on Telephone Number Porting when Taking up FTTP

FIXED
tristanself

Request for Definitive Answer on Telephone Number Porting when Taking up FTTP

Hi,

I've just signed up for the FTTP installation (switching from FTTC), obviously the copper landline will be ceased and replaced with fibre optic and the landline telephone service also ceased.

Background

I'm setting myself up on sipgate so I can continue to have a "landline" number.

When signing up I'd asked about getting my telephone number ported to sipgate as part of the FTTP installation, the operative on the phone said they can raise the FTTP order, then if I was to setup the sipgate account and then make the porting request (for my number) then i'd be fine, i'd not yet made the request still waiting on the letter (snailmail) from sipgate to complete my account setup.

Later in the day I got an email from plusnet saying I was ceasing the account and wanting £230, I phoned and this turned out to be a red herring, their system was incorrectly identifying the removal of the copper telephone line as part of the FTTP install as a cease request; fine no problem.

While I was on the phone I asked again about number porting and was told something completely different, that the porting request for my number can't be made until after the FTTP installation date or it would interfere with the process. Of course this is a problem because after the FTTP installation date my telephone line is ceased, the number is returned to the unassigned pool, ergo I can't make a porting request for it because its not mine anymore.

Question

So the question i'm looking for the definitive answer for is, does Plus.net (currently) allow the porting of the landline telephone number out to a third party as part of the FTTP install (switch)? And if so how can this be done without ending up cancelling my broadband service and causing myself a load of problems?

(P.s. if it can't be ported, that's fine, just need to know either way so I can request a new number on sipgate and start getting the new number to the various organisations that have it, e.g. insurance, banks etc.)

Thanks

Tristan

31 REPLIES 31
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Request for Definitive Answer on Telephone Number Porting when Taking up FTTP

@tristanself Definitive answer - you cannot port a PN phone number - as advised by the agent you last spoke to, porting would cease your service, and you would be unable to place the FTTP order.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Request for Definitive Answer on Telephone Number Porting when Taking up FTTP

Fix

Nope.

Now with that succinct answer out of the way, there’s no officially acknowledged way for you to retain your landline number if you upgrade to FTTP with Plusnet. 

Welcome to our Community Forums though. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tristanself

Many thanks on your speedy and definitive response.

I'll see about getting a new number arranged.

And thanks, new to the community, but been using plus.net since the force9 days. 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@tristanself 

One person apparently magaged to port their number and get FTTP installed before the PlusNet system caught up with them but I highly suspect it was down to luck. It was certainly not done "officially"

If you need your number you have to go elsewhere. If you simply need a telephone service then you can sign up with any VOIP operator and get a number from them.

Brian

optex
Hooked

I just cannot believe Plusnet have done nothing on the landline situation, I'm getting full fibre installed in the area it's more or less installed,

I won't having it the wife family are elderly they rely on a landline, so don't use mobile phone so they ring the wife on landline, we just couldn't do without a landline, sky and BT are offering landline and others, not sure why Plusnet are not, they have had the opportunity, for years to be prepared, need to get the act together, ☹️,

jab1
Legend

@optex I think there are a couple  of reasons - Parent company (BT) not wanting their 'budget' brand to compete too closely with their 'premium' brands, a PN accounting system which is not capable of being modified to cope - and there may be others.

John
optex
Hooked

I'm still quite surprised, they will have to offer it, still many people still wanting the landline,
People are being caught out, by ordering the full fibre and not realising, I won't get a landline I don't think there's only going back,

Can I leave my contact just signed to 2 year one,lol last month just a general question, cheers mate
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@optex 

When you order full fibre with us, we'd make you aware upfront that you'll lose your phone line and number.

If we sign you up to BT for FTTP you'll be able to keep your telephone number and we can waive cancellation fees with us. 

I'd just recommend giving my colleagues in our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 to arrange. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@optex 

You might be able to transfer to BT free of any early termination fees if keeping your number is important. You need to ask PlusNet when FTTP becomes available.

Is it your number you wish to keep or just a phone service. You could go with a VOIP provider for phone (with a new number).

Brian

Edit : The Wizard's faster at typing than I am.

optex
Hooked

Number and phone , will see what happens don't think it's gone live yet, next 2-3 months the engineer was saying , they laid all cable didn't take them very long,
optex
Hooked

You should be keeping customers, not sending them away, two rival companies, yeah BT is part of Plusnet,
Should be given excellent customer service, it's not really the case with full fibre, very poor unfortunately,🚫☹️

jab1
Legend

@optex Plusnet is a subsidiary of BT - and their 'budget' brand.

John
bmc
Hero

@optex 

You can check using the following for when FTTP becomes available. You're looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column and Available over to the right. There will also be a narrative below the results window which would state if any problems are expected with the install.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

PlusNet are the budget brand of BT - end of story. There is also the small matter of the PSTN service being withdrawn by the end of 2025. All phone lines will be on a digital VOIP service. The BT group appear to have decided that it wasn't worth developing a VOIP service for PlusNet and therefore chose no phone as the option. I believe (from memory of a post on the forum) that EE, the other BT group company, also do not offer a phone service. Can't confirm.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@jab1 wrote:

... a PN accounting system which is not capable of being modified to cope ...

Agreed @jab1 .

IMO it's a very poor show when the system can't cope with permitting people at the very least to be able to port their existing landline number to a third party VoIP service when their fibre service is connected, which after all is a completely separate connection.

It used to be possible to cease the copper landline by doing just that for people who were on the FTTP trial, so what a shame that the PN systems are now shown to be so inadequate in that respect.