cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Full Fibre Upgrade Install

FunkoJack

Question About Full Fibre Upgrade Install

So recently decided to upgrade to FTTP. Looking at how its all installed im a bit concerned about how its going to work for myself. The master socket/current location of the router is in the main living room. Between the main living room and the wall to outside is a hallway, Im just concerned on how OR will be able to install the equipment in the current location as the router is in a ideal position for the property... What do you think OR will do to help as right now I dont want cables running everywhere around the property due to the layout.

3 REPLIES 3
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

Re: Question About Full Fibre Upgrade Install

@FunkoJack 

Each house is different so nothing will be known until the day of install.

The engineer should speak to you about the location of the internal ONT and should work to your preference if it's possible. There is some leeway in where the cable comes into the house and they may be able to run it across outside walls before it comes in.

Brian

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@FunkoJack 

I don't think that the ONT and router have to be co-located?

I think that it is possible to locate the ONT in one room and the router in another - linking the two by a long ethernet cable, (I believe that powerline adapters can also be used to do this?).

Mains electrical power will be required wherever the ONT is located though, (which is an issue in my hallway).

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 82

@Mr_Paul 

(I believe that powerline adapters can also be used to do this?)

Technically this is true, but the reality of powerline adapters are you are unlike to achieve the required bandwidth between the ONT and router. Especially if you have chosen a higher speed product.

Dan.