Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Own router won't connect (FTTP)

FIXED
anonymousthegee
Dabbler

Own router won't connect (FTTP)

Hi,

I have a TP-Link VR2600 router that I was previously using with Plusnet FTTC. I had FTTP upgrade last week and all set up with the Plusnet Hub 2 router. I'm now trying to switch back to my TP-Link, but it won't connect. Hoping someone can verify my setup / point out if I'm missing something.

* switched the router's Operation Mode to Wireless Router, and connected the WAN cable from the ONT to the appropriate LAN/WAN port

* connection details:

* Username: <myusername>@plusdsl.net
    * Password: <my password for logging into plusnet portal>
    * VLAN: Enabled
    * VLAN Id: 101
    * Connection Type: PPPoE

It fails to connect. In the router logs, I do see a PPP error: "ppp0 Timeout waiting for PADO packets". I have tried reentering username + password, but don't believe it's an issue there.

I've tried throughout the weekend in case, never works. As soon as I connect the Plusnet Hub 2 back, that connects fine.

3 REPLIES 3
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Own router won't connect (FTTP)

Fix

Have you tried it without the VLAN enabled? This is only needed when the router is also the modem, but the ONT is now the modem.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@anonymousthegee Yep, @Mustrum is correct , no VLAN ID required for FTTP

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

anonymousthegee
Dabbler

@Mustrum @MisterW Aha! Thanks so much, that sorted it!

Interestingly, WiFi on the PN Router 2 is significantly faster. But unfortunately, can't split 2.4/5Ghz on it. But that's my next task - replace with a mesh system!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!