cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation slow

ChrisWolf

New installation slow

I switched from Sky to full fibre 140. On the day of installation, the engineer recorded 150mbps download. Now it is between 67 and 84mbps. Installation has been in for 7 days. I was told it should stabilise after 1 day unlike copper that can take two weeks. Wifi signal is strong, although wifi should not affect a speed test as its testing from the router

4 REPLIES 4
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: New installation slow

@ChrisWolf  So how are you testing "from the router"?  The only valid test is from a PC or other device connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable. Anything done over wi-fi is meaningless.

ChrisWolf

Perhaps I didn't word this in the best way. A wifi connection cannot download 150Mbps, if I could get that over wifi I would be a rich person, but yet a speed test over wifi can still give a reading of 150Mbps. So they use the latency from simple ping packets (56-64 bytes) to measure speed, which wifi is more than capable of handling. While a poor wifi connection can impact results, so can other factors. My connection is sometimes fast other times not so hence the reason I ran a number of tests. Agree a hard-wired connections better with it being more consistent but with a good wifi connection it can still show instabilities on the line while not necessarily giving a correct result in download speeds, which is something I am experiencing. However, there are many other factors that can affect speed test, even hard wired, not all within the end user's control. My speed test validated my suspicion the connection was unstable and slow at times. BT Openreach used a Wifi connection on a mobile to do the initial test. Thanks for the response anyway

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@ChrisWolf 

In terms of the connection itself WiFi speeds (and tests) are meaningless. You can only do a reliable connection test using an ethernet cable.

If the speed at the point of entry is "good" then any problem with WiFi speed is the users problem (unless the router is faulty).

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@ChrisWolf  I do not agree with your opinions on how speed tests work. They actually download and upload data to and from your device so to get correct results the link to the router ( ethernet or wi-fi ) must be capable of the maximum speed of the broadband connection. Also a Plusnet Hub2 wi-fi 5Ghz connection can achieve more than 150Mbps which explains how the Openreach test gave that figure.

I would argue the speed tests you have done just show variations in the wi-fi speed so are not showing any useful information. The third test shows an upload speed of 282.47Mbps so is obviously wrong, I've never trusted the BT Wholesale test much, particularly the upload speed.