cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTP 2022

deekayw
Grafter

New FTTP 2022

Can anyone advise please - i've signed up to upgrade my FTTC package to the newly available FTTP with activation date 29th June.

I realise the package doesn't include VoIP for landline & during sign up I asked the question of am I able to PORT my landline to a VoIP provider in advance.  I realise that usually with the FTTC doing a port automatically cancels the whole existing account but wasn't sure if some sort of facility had been incorporated in the |FTTP upgrade process to permit PORTING of landline number without affecting my PlusNet Account.  

When I raised the question during sign up was advised to speak with Technical but as I did the signup on Saturday rang Customer Services this morning and raised the question for Technical.  The very helpful consultant spoke with technical and advised that it was indeed possible to do a PORT.

I'm just a bit nervous and don't want to lose service so hoped someone may be able to confirm it for me.

Thanks a lot

Kevin

Moderators Note: All caps title changed as per Forum rules

25 REPLIES 25
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: NEW FTTP 2022

@deekayw Sadly, you were wrongly advised. As it stands at the moment as an existing customer, you can only be transferred to the FTTP product  , which will cease the line at that point, but you must still have it up to the point of transfer, when it will then cease - you cannot transfer it in advance, and you won't have it after.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Moderators Notey

This topic has been moved from Broadband to FTTP 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

deekayw
Grafter

Many thanks John, I thought I was right but am pleased to have an expert confirm it for me.  I'll order a new number ready for the switchover.

Cheers

Kevin

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

I'm no expert, @deekayw - just someone who reads official responses to questions.  😀

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@deekayw  What exactly do you mean by  "I'll order a new number ready for the switchover." I am assuming you mean a new VOIP service because you will no longer have a working copper phone line after switching to FTTP

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@deekayw 

PlusNet haven't handled the introduction of their FTTP product well. It's currently only for existing customers only until they get their website sorted out. It's doesn't apepar to be clear that when ordering it you lose your telephone number. Some people are happy with this as they stopped using landlines previously while others want to continue with a (VOIP) phone service using the same number.

If your'e happy to go VOIP with a new number then PN FTTP works for you.

The other solution is to wait until FTTP is open to new customers, set up a new account for FTTP and then, when up and running, port out your number which will cease your old account (potentially with early termination charges). You also lose your PN email if you use it.

Brian

deekayw
Grafter

Hi, I mean i'll order a new number from one of the VoIP providers - VoipFone or Sipgate -  IPN  currently use for a couple of community groups I look after, so I can start and advertise my home number in advance of FTTP being activated..

Thanks

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I'd opt for Sipgate. Sipgate basic offers you a free account and phone number ongoing, you only pay for calls.
VoipFone has a monthly fee for whichever plan you select, iirc.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
SamX
Dabbler

I have a dual-voip DECT phone -- two lines can be configured. I use Sipgate for incoming (free) and localphone.com for outgoing (cheap PAYG). I do not remember when I topped up both accounts Smiley

deekayw
Grafter

Thanks dvorak, it will be Sipgate Basic, it's great they still do the free number with that package.  I'd initially wondered t VoipFone as I look after three VoiP (3CX) systems and use Voipfone for incoming calls as they permit multiple connections over the single number so I can set each 3CX for 4 or 8 maximum connections and only costs £3.00 a month AND VoipFone have a  fall over facility to send a call to my mobile if there's an internet problem for example.  Been an interesting journey  since the SIP days of the early 90's.

Cheers

deekayw
Grafter

Thanks SamX    Hadn't heard of localphone.com - will have a look at them.  Always good to know of these companies

Cheeers

deekay

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Hadn't heard of localphone.com

I use them for outgoing calls on both my home voip system and the office pbx. Their PAYG rates are 0.6p/min to UK landlines and 1.8p/min to mobiles which is about 1/2 sipgate's rates to landlines and about 1/5 of the rates to mobiles. They also allow you to register a number (providing you can demonstrate you own it!) to be used as outgoing CLI.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deekayw
Grafter

Morning

Thanks for that - since SamX mentioned the name i've signed up and will have a 'play around' as time permits during the day.  Will also pass the info to a friend - we started out afew years ago with call18866 when they were 0.5p UK LL but they;re up to 2p now as well as a big conection fgee

Much appreciated everyone

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Will also pass the info to a friend

If you know other people using Localphone, you can call them for free using their localphone 'sip id' . Sipgate is similar in that calls between Sipgate numbers are free

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.