cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My speeds have dropped since fibre upgrade

kmw350
Rising Star

Re: My speeds have dropped since fibre upgrade

@TheMightyAJ Thanks for the response, I've replied in the affirmative regarding the router -  though as I stated, I do already have a Hub One, but yes I am more than happy to try a new one if you think it might help - thanks for offering this, do you think it might help reduce the disconnects?

And how about my suggestion of switching the router off each evening? Is that something I should also consider?

Thanks

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for getting back to us @kmw350. I've updated the ticket in response regarding the router. I can't guarantee that it will resolve the issues, but it's worth a shot considering the circumstances and even if it doesn't fix things, there's still the option of getting an engineer out to have a look at what else might be causing the problem. As for turning the router off overnight, I wouldn't recommend doing this, as it will only confuse the Dynamic Line Management (or DLM) Settings.

Please give us a shout once the router arrives and whether or not there's any sort of improvement to the connection and we'll be happy to pick this case back up for review. Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
kmw350
Rising Star

Understood, I'll let you know how it goes after I've tried the new router, thanks again

kmw350
Rising Star

@TheMightyAJ I'm just posting to say, I noticed the quesiton has been automatically closed due to inactivity for 2 weeks, but I have not actually received the new router yet.

Perhaps you could check it's been sent, and the question could be reinstated for another two weeks?

Many thanks

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @kmw350, I'm sorry the router hasn't arrived yet. It looks like the order hadn't fully gone through so I've now sorted this and ensured it's ordered for you.

I've opened a new ticket on the account for you here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=220881756

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
kmw350
Rising Star

Hi @LaurenB ,

no problem, many thanks for the quick response

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

No worries! Let us know how you get on when it arrives and just get back to us if you have any further queries in the meantime.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
kmw350
Rising Star

@LaurenB the new router has arrived and is connected. Could I therefore ask for one further reset to be done so that my D/L speeds are reset as high as possible & I can then see what happens with the new router over the next week. Thanks again

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Thanks for getting back to us @kmw350

I've arranged for your line to be reset, which should happen within 3 working days.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
kmw350
Rising Star

@Gandalf  After several days, the new router is working fine thanks, though I'm not sure it is any better/different compared to the old one, but still I appreciate you sending me the new one.

Because 99% of my disconnects occur every night between 1am and 5am, I have now been turning the router off every night at midnight & back on at 0530.

I realise it's not what you advise, but for the past 2 or 3 weeks of doing this, my speeds have stayed very nicely between 45 & 50, and even if they eventually settle down to 40, that is still acceptable to me (whereas, if I leave it on 24/7, the speeds are more likely to fall to 31-35Mbps).

During daytime hours, I generally only get disconnects two or three times a week, not enough to affect the speeds I think.

There is definitely crackling on my line, sometimes quite bad, so I suspect something is not right somewhere on the line, so if you think Openreach should check it out, then that would be fine, otherwise I am happy if the speeds stay like this & I'm very grateful for your help.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for your response @kmw350

Whilst I'm glad to hear that you've managed top get your speeds where they need to be using your own methods of turning the router off regularly, it can result in DLM banding your line at a lower speed. I've had a look at the RRT on on side which shows it's not banded at the moment, though I wouldn't be surprised to see it become banded in the future.

I've just run a phone line test, given that you've mentioned noise on the line, and it's coming back clear, do you have an alternate handset which you could try out at all?

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
kmw350
Rising Star

Hi @adam945 regarding the noise on the line, this appears to have been a red herring - I plugged in a second handset and the line seems clear, so sorry for that. (I did think it was odd, as it has only been doing that for a few days, whereas my disconnect problem has been for much longer).

Back to the DL speeds - I accept your advice, and I don't mind trying again with leaving the new router on 24/7, but I'm pretty sure I'll see the speeds drop back down to the lower 31Mbps in the next few days.

If it's what you advise me to do, I'll leave it on from today and report back again, if you could keep the question open,

Thanks

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks for getting back to me @kmw350 and I'm glad to hear that your phone line appears to be okay now.

In regards to your speeds, and turning off the router, it's honestly up to yourself, nothing is irreversible, so if DLM was to band your line, we'd be able to request a reset. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
kmw350
Rising Star

@adam945 thanks, I'll probably leave the new router on and see how it goes for a while, and give you another shout if the speeds fall too low.

Thanks for all the help

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@kmw350 

If the line is still dropping and you are happy to turn the hub off every night then I believe (and I'm sure that one of the knowledgeable contibutors will jump in if I'm wrong), that there is a way to switch off without exciting the DLM.

The trick is to first log in to the hub Advanced/Broadband page and select Disconnect. Only switch the power off after it has properly disconnected. I believe that this is logged as a deliberate shutdown, not a line drop.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'