Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PlusNet ever going to properly launch FTTP

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Is PlusNet ever going to properly launch FTTP

I would be interested to know what proportion of PN customers actually have the option of moving to FTTP and also how many would if they could! 

No doubt when FTTP is universal PN will have to offer it but that still seems some way off. The reality is that OR are not even going to improve poor copper cabling as that is effectively obsolete. If you can get FTTP from another provider there is nothing to stop one moving if one wants to.  At the moment it is just not a perfect market.

dgp
Rising Star

They are already offering it to existing customers https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/05/isp-plusnet-in-low-key-uk-launch-of-fttp-broadband-pac.... You need to phone up to switch.

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Would you do important stuff like banking and personal stuff on a Google, Yahoo or Hotmail email account? I wouldn't! They are not exactly secure!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@DaveCW 

Not only did PlusNet withdraw the email only option for departing transcribers they stopped offering email to new customers at the same time.

There have been rumours that PN plan to stop email entirely.

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

@DaveCW wrote:

Would you do important stuff like banking and personal stuff on a Google, Yahoo or Hotmail email account? I wouldn't! They are not exactly secure!

Google, yes. They are far more secure than ISP email.

they at least offer 2 factor authentication for a start!

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Banking/shopping would be OK on any of those platforms, unless the 'shop' exposed your full details in any email sent - and no reputable organisation would. Any financial - i.e. banking - organisation will never carry out transactions via email.

John
whiphound

I can confirm.  I phoned up today as Openreach have cabled our area and put BT flyers through the door, and I have been able to order upgrade to FTTP.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@whiphound 

I assume you were informed you would lose your landline and phone NUMBER and that the number can't be "ported" out.

Brian

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

I actually like PN email. Reliable and no spam. Losing mail and your long term phone number does not sound like a particularly good deal to me. Fortunately I cannot have FTTP for another couple of years yet!

dvorak

It's not an 'and', it's an 'or' Smiley
email or phone
Customer / Moderator
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Semantics!

It's not ideal to have to lose either!

dvorak

It's not semantics, it's factual.
I didn't say it was ideal either.
Customer / Moderator
whiphound

Yes I was told about the landline loss, and honestly that's fine with me. I know it won't be for some. Of I had gone for BT then I would have selected the no phone option anyway. We don't use our landline at all.
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Am I missing the point here? One is effectively paying for a "landline" whether one has one or not and voice calls are just more data travelling over the same circuit.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@TeeGee  Not quite sure what point you think you are missing but voice calls over a copper line (which is what is generally called a landline) are analogue electrical signals totally separate from the Broadband service. If you change to FTTP with Plusnet you lose the copper line so you no longer have a conventional voice service as the fibre line is an optical connection. That is why VOIP is used to convert voice calls to data signals on the fibre circuit. You can of course use VOIP on ADSL and FTTC lines as well. I used the old Plusnet VOIP service years ago and changed to Sipgate when Plusnet stopped it.