cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PlusNet ever going to properly launch FTTP

pmkelly

Is PlusNet ever going to properly launch FTTP

Early last year ISP Review carried an article that PlusNet were finally going to launch a proper FTTP service towards the end of 2021.

Broadband ISP Plusnet UK Predicted to Launch FTTP in H2 2021 - ISPreview UK

Clearly nothing has happened.

I called customer services today for an account review and he didn't even seem to be aware that a trial existed. He put me through to EE.

I think I have been with PlusNet for nearly 20 years and used to put all of my clients with them. Because of this FTTP nonsense I think I have 2 left and most of the others have migrated to companies other than BT/EE.

Why can't PlusNet just give a clear statement on their FTTP plans.

47 REPLIES 47
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Is PlusNet ever going to properly launch FTTP

@pmkelly 

By the end of January was the last unofficial word on FTTP. Very few support staff know anything about the FTTP Trial - it's always been that way. The Trial doesn't show up on back office systems as far as I'm aware.

I suspect part of the problem is they can't announce a date until they are sure their back office systems are ready. The general dates mentioned are their "best" hope of being ready.

Are you aware you can move the BT / EE FTTP free of any early termination fees.

Brian

pmkelly

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the reply. I am not in contract so terminations etc.. don't bother me.

I keep holding on because I like the fact that support is UK based. Although I would much rather be a business customer again.

Also I am not that keen to go to BT.

I would just like to hear a firm plan. Its not as if we are asking them to reinvent the wheel.

bmc
Hero

@pmkelly 

I can't find it now but there was an interview somewhere early last year that confirmed both FTTP was coming and a new router was in the works. The router (HubTwo - based on the BT SmartHub2) is here but not yet FTTP. This was the earliest news article I could find.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/04/broadband-isp-plusnet-uk-predicted-to-launch-fttp-this...

As mentioned, I suspect the whole problem is they can't afford to announce FTTP until their systems are ready. To supply a date in advance would be to simply hold themselves in the hands of the software gods.

Brian

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

So, might there be an FTTP offering by the end of the month? FTTP up to 1Gig connections seem to be becoming more mainstream now. I see the Hub 2 has been released.
bmc
Hero

@southerner wrote:
So, might there be an FTTP offering by the end of the month? FTTP up to 1Gig connections seem to be becoming more mainstream now. I see the Hub 2 has been released.

You're guess is as good as anybodies.

One thing I've not seen talked about is the speeds that PlusNet will offer - once again we won't know until they announce. However, what's the possibility they might stick as the "basic" brand of the group and only offer 40/10 or 80/20.

Brian

jlo31
Dabbler

I've been eagerly waiting for news too and my contract ends 4th Feb. City fibre have put in fibre to property via zen as have openreach so I have just ordered zen as I don't want to commit to another 18 month contract with Plusnet. Hope they sort out fibre to property service for other users soon.
pmkelly

I live in a rural area and I think we were used by OpenReach as a trial for some FTTP technologies.

I was all set to go to Zen when PlusNet told me they could put me on their trial.

How I was handled was  a disaster. Not like the PlusNet I knew.

I should have realised then that I was making  a mistake 🙂

Personally, I don't think PlusNet are serious and if they can get people to go to EE they will be happy to leave things as they are.

southerner
Aspiring Pro

@bmc wrote:

@pmkelly 

Are you aware you can move the BT / EE FTTP free of any early termination fees.

Brian

I'm curious about this. Are you able to move your service within the BT group penalty free? Eg. BT, EE, Plusnet.

bmc
Hero

@southerner 

Can't answer if this applies generally.

I know you can move without penalty from PlusNet to BT / EE to get FTTP but that's all.

Brian

dgp
Rising Star

My contract with PN expires at the end of January. Do I stay with them and hope they offer FTTP in the next couple of months or do I jump ship now? I also have the choice of Virgin Media and their M100 and M200 prices are very competitive. Some certainty from PN would be helpful.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@dgp  Is FTTP available for you? 

If not it is pointless waiting for PN to announce something, if it is you could move to BT or EE now without a early termination fee.

dgp
Rising Star

Yes I have FTTP available. It’s just I have one of the .me.uk email addresses they handed out years ago following a data breach and don’t want to lose it.

bmc
Hero

@dgp 

It's possible you might be able to keep the e-mail address but PlusNet would need to know in advance. You need someone like @Gandalf  to advise.

Also, there was some talk (unsubstaniated) a while back that PlusNet are considering shuttering their e-mail servers. Like FTTP, you wouldn't get any answers unless or until this was confirmed with a closure date.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It’s just I have one of the .me.uk email addresses they handed out years ago following a data breach and don’t want to lose it.

The .me.uk domain is yours, you own it even though PlusNet host it and the email. You can transfer it to another hosting provider but the other provider would charge for the domain registration and email hosting

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.