cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation question

JulieD42
Dabbler

Installation question

I’m thinking of signing up for the 145mb fibre with PN. I’m currently with BT but I need to change as their prices are ridiculous. I know I’ll need to upgrade to the newer cables but I have an issue. I’m bedbound currently due to a chronic illness and I had covid recently which has made me bedbound. The current BT phone box and modem are in my bedroom. I don’t fancy sharing a room with an engineer while he does the work. We would prefer to have our broadband downstairs as I don’t like having it set up in the bedroom.

Will the engineer need access to my current phone line box or can he just complete the setup in the new place downstairs with a new box? 

I did contact PN but they couldn’t help with this question.

9 REPLIES 9
dazgee1965
Grafter

Re: Installation question

The Openreach engineer will run a fibre cable from their junction box to your property.
They will then bond it to another fibre cable which will be run into your property and connected to an ONT box which will plug into your router via an ethernet cable.
I would assume that the cable run to your bedroom would be longer to where you would like it downstairs?
If that's the case a shorter run will make it easier for him.
He may also offer to remove the old copper cable as this will become redundant.
Are you aware that you will not have a phone line with FTTP?
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@JulieD42 

Do you have an overhead or underground feed for your copper phone line? Is the downstairs location on the same wall as the current entry point.

You may well have the option of bringing the new fibre cable inside on the ground floor. A good engineer will work with you on the location - it it's possible. They drill a new entry point through the wall and place the Optical Network Adapter (ONT) on the inside wall. It needs a power source nearby. The router is connected via an Ethernet cable so this gives you a bit of leeway on the location of the router - it's not limited in performance due to cable length.

As mentioned, you lose your phone number with PN FTTP - does this matter. It might also affect your WiFi performance.

Brian

Pre post Edit : Although your router is currently upstairs is this where the OpenReach Master Socket is?

JulieD42
Dabbler

Thank you.

Yes, I don’t use the house phone anymore, it’s been unplugged for years.

Ok, so he ma6 be able to just do the work downstairs then if we explain we would like the router downstairs no longer in the bedroom. I was unsure as that’s where our phone line box has always been. We did have one downstairs but when BT last came out they said it didn’t work so the modem has always been upstairs. 

JulieD42
Dabbler

Thank you. Yes, we had 2 BT sockets, one downstairs and one in our bedroom but the one downstairs stopped working years ago so BT set it up in our bedroom as that’s where the main master socket is and it worked. Where I’d like it is in the hallways or living room which are directly below my bedroom. So yes they share the same wall outside.

Our living room sockets behind the tv may be the best spot as that is directly below where the router currently is in the same corner in my bedroom. 

I don’t mind not having a phone as we haven’t used it in years but how does it cause an issue with WI-FI? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

but how does it cause an issue with WI-FI

I think @bmc was referring to moving the router may cause an issue with wifi coverage

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JulieD42
Dabbler

Ah I see. Well currently we have issues with it reaching certain rooms, we have ever since we moved here 19 years ago. Despite my sons room being next door to mine he can never get good speeds so needs hardwire to his PC. Our dining room and kitchen struggle so we had to have BT booster discs dotted downstairs in 2 locations. We were told it’s the age of our house, 1966. Brick walls. I’m hoping moving the router downstairs may help a bit.

Do you recommended Plusnet? I’m with BT and they want me to pay £47 a month for their 75mb speed to stay with them which is £9 more that I currently pay for the same package. I looked at Sky but I’m not keen on some of the reviews I’ve read. I’m taking a look at Plusnet, not sure how good they are but doing some research before I sign up.

bmc
Hero

@JulieD42 

As @MisterW  speculated I was indeed referring to performance due to a change in location. However to offset that you get a Hub2 which generally has better WiFi than the Hub1.

In general I can't see a problem with getting the ONT fitted downstairs but until an engineer turns up on the day you just down know.

While behind the TV shouldn't be a problem for the ONT it's not the best place for a router in case the TV affects the WiFi.

Finally, you could have a look at the following. WBC FTTP in the left hand column signifies FTTP. What is more interesting is the narrative below the results window. It may say if any problems are expected on an FTTP install.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

bmc
Hero

@JulieD42 

Missed this on reading your first post. As a new customer you wouldn't get offered either a phone service or e-mails.

Don't know which BT router you're on so the Hub2 may not be better for WiFi - it is in fact a re-badged BT SmartHub2

FTTP is far more resiliant than copper services so far less to go wrong. PN admin leaves a fair bit to be desired but so long as things don't wrong this doesn't matter much. Be aware that PN have a annual March price increase of 3.9% + inflation. There's a possibility of around a 13% increase next year. Worth considering and checking other providers price promises.

Brian

JulieD42
Dabbler

Thank Brian. Appreciate the help.