Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full fibre and phone line help

Sarah10
Hooked

Full fibre and phone line help

I am going through to process to upgrade to fibre at it says:

With Full Fibre, you don’t need a traditional phone line

Full Fibre uses the latest technology connecting straight to your home so the good news is you don’t need a phone line.

Want to keep your Plusnet phone line?

If you're using medical pendants or personal alarms connected to your phone line or you don’t want to lose your landline – no problem. Just choose a broadband and phone deal.

If you'd like to upgrade to Full Fibre please confirm you're happy to lose your home phone line.

Does this mean I still get my phone number and to use my physical landline phone, but it just plugs into the router instead?  Or does it mean I am completely giving up my landline and losing the phone number, and use of physical landline phone?

27 REPLIES 27
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Full fibre and phone line help

@Sarah10 

Or does it mean I am completely giving up my landline and losing the phone number, and use of physical landline phone?

Yes, it means exactly that. Currently, Plusnet are not offering a phone service with Full Fibre

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Sarah10 If you go Full Fibre (FTTP) with Plusnet, you lose your land-line phone number, and there is currently no way round this.

John
DelT
Grafter
Fixes: 4

If you are prepared to change to a new number then by using an Analogue Telephone Adapter between your phone (or DECT base) and a LAN socket on your router you could use a 3rd party VOIP service such as Sipgate. Unfortunately at present PN does not allow you to port your present number without closing the account.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Just to confirm that if you upgrade to full fibre with us then you'll lose your phone line and number.

If we sign you up to BT instead though you'll be able to keep your telephone number. I'd recommend calling our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 if you'd like to go ahead. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cocowalla
Dabbler

Is losing your number a permanent "feature", or are PlusNet going to resolve this so folk can switch to FTTP without losing their number?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I don't know I'm afraid but this is currently the way it is. 

We'll happily sign you up to BT if you'd like to keep your number as they can provide a Digital Voice service. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

ISTM that PlusNet is a headless beast if it's willing to lose customers in this way to the major operator in the BT stable.

Not that long ago it was possible to have broadband from PN whilst paying for line rental and telephone service from a third party company using the BT infrastructure (BT included obviously), so wouldn't it be possible to separate the broadband and telephone/line elements for a very short period prior to transferring to FTTP with the proviso that the arrangement was for a limited period in order to give the customer a chance to port the number to VoIP, after which if they didn't do so the line and number would cease.  That probably wouldn't be necessary for all accounts, but maybe something to offer those who wished to keep their number.

Just a thought.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@RobPN I may have misinterpreted your post but just to be clear, a customer who has their xDSL service with us and their PSTN service with another provider would still be subject to the same phone number loss given the current implementation.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Hobo
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Just to be clear on this, I have been on the FTTP trial for many years but have never had my phone landline with Plusnet, I have always had my phone on a separate landline service with BT and there is no way that we wish for that to cease and to lose my number, are you saying that if I contract my existing trial FTTP service you can and will cancel my landline contract with another company.  

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@bobpullen 

That surprises me Bob, it all seems a bit short-sighted to me but I'll have to take your word for it.

Isn't that an anomaly though, as it would mean that an unrelated telephone/line supplier would be forced into losing a paying customer?

Also, what if the BB account holder and the telephone account holder aren't even the same person, which can and does happen? It seems that the 'third party' telephone account holder will be penalised by losing their line and number.

ISTR that during the FTTP trial a certain amount of fiddling with the system was involved to raise an FTTP order, but it was achieved without necessitating loss of telephone number. I'm just glad I never transferred my landline from BT to PN.

Edit:  typo

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Hobo 

Your phone line (& number) are safe. Your'e on a legacy account from a time when PN offer internet only with the phone line provided by another supplier. I was in the same situation - though I promply cancelled my phone when I got FTTP as I didn't need it.

As you already have FTTP installed it would just be an upgrade to your account. You'd need to sign up for a xx month contract at whatever price is offered but you would get a Hub2 out of it.

As you've got FTTP already, there's no danger of the copper line being removed to supply the fibre cable.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As you've got FTTP already, there's no danger of the copper line being removed to supply the fibre cable.

That is certainly true, however I'm  not sure about  this

Your phone line (& number) are safe. 

I'm not sure that the automated system on a change to a Full Fibre product, won't try to change ownership of the voice line and cease it

We need a knowledgeable staff member to confirm

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@MisterW 

A certain wizard known to us "liked" my post so I assume he didn't see anything wrong with it.

The phone and number are safe - it would be illegal for PlusNet to cancel the line. The OP's PN account is another matter.

Given that the OP is on the Trial I suspect the automated system may not work and that it would need a manual order to process the account change.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Given that the OP is on the Trial I suspect the automated system may not work and that it would need a manual order to process the account change.

@bmc the automated system does work for account change of an fttp trial account to full fibre. A couple of us were guinea pigs! Well it almost worked but we discovered the static ip loss problem which has now been fixed

Whilst it would be illegal to cancel the line, its not illegal to request a transfer. If agreed by the current owning CP  then once transferred it could be ceased

ISTR another thread mentioning the situation where the phone and bb were with separate CPs and suggesting that the phone line would still be lost. Cant find iit at the moment though..

Whether the fact that its a trial account would make any difference I'm not sure...