Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre now available to me .. a few questions

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Full Fibre now available to me .. a few questions

I noticed some works going on outside the place I am moving to, which is the place I used to live at and has managed my PlusNet account all these years.

Checked on the BT Wholesale checker and it seems to confirm this.

FTTP I get:

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
WBC FTTP Upto 1000 Upto 220 -- Available KCI2 Assure

So PlusNet offer full fibre now and it no longer a trial, is that correct?

A few questions:

• I can order full FTTP as a separate product. I will keep my current PlusNet account active for the time being.
  • My FTTP PlusNet account will be separate, that's fine as I don't use PlusNet e-mail or anything. So setting up a new PlusNet account with a different user name is fine with me.
  • I need to keep the current existing landline (operated by BT) and the number. We have had it for years so losing it is not an option.
  • So once FTTP is installed, I will have two internet connections and the landline?
  • Once the FTTP internet connection is all up and running to our satisfaction, I will then cancel just the FTTC internet connection off the BT line, so the BT line is now just phone only. Same number just works as before as phone only.
  • Internet is now completely separate through the FTTP.
  • I assume FTTP is subject to a 2 year contract, which is a shame that no-one at BT Wholesale has studied Business Studies, but I guess I will have to live with that.
  • Different hardware, Hub Two. Fine.

So basically I will consider getting a FTTP account and once it all runs fine just cancel the internet only off the landline. So the landline just works as a landline only. Internet is now quick as a completly separate fibre connection.

I am quite up for all of that, but if someone can let me know if I am correct, I will have to run it past the boss of the house (my sister).

3 REPLIES 3
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Full Fibre now available to me .. a few questions

@Alex Looks like you have done your homework, what you describe sounds good to me. You can order FTTP on a new account, just make sure you say you want to keep your landline, so Openreach don't rip it out.🙄

Another thing worth checking with Plusnet is that cancelling the FTTC service will not cease the landline, it shouldn't as you are not upgrading to FTTP which for some inexplicable reason does cease the landline whoever supplies it which I think is not correct.

You will be paying for FTTP and the BT landline and calls which will increase the monthly bills so are you thinking of porting the number to a VOIP service so the landline can go, and you use the FTTP for VOIP calls. It would save money and will have to be done in a couple of years anyway when the PSTN phone service stops. I would say do it soon so you don't have to pay BT line rental and call charges which are pretty steep.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks @RealAleMadrid 

I'd have to check that with the boss, but personally I would rather just have the FTTC and FTTP connections both running. As soon as all fine. Once that is all running just cancel the FTTC connection keeping the new FTTP one.

I know we'd be paying for two connections for a little while but it won't be long. I will certainly test the speed and I am sure my sister and niece will so I will soon know if there are any problems. 😀

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Alex Yes I agree you need some overlap to check that you are happy with the new FTTP service but when you cancel the FTTC on the landline you will still be paying BT line rental and call charges. A Voip service would be a lot cheaper.