cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre Prices

FIXED
rabbitymoo

Full Fibre Prices

Does PN charge the same amount for Full Fibre anywhere in the country or does it charge more for rural areas? (of course I'm only referring to areas where FF is available).

OpenReach are trying to get us to claim our Gigabit Voucher as part of the Fibre Community Partnership programme. As we are already happy with the speeds we get from our FTTC service, I can't see what the incentive is for us to sign up for this seeing as it means we would be committing to ordering a FF service when it's available.

I understand that getting enough people to claim their vouchers makes it cheaper for OpenReach to install the new fibre cables. So, my question really is: if it costs OpenReach more to install FF in our area, will PN charge more for the service?

Many thanks in advance.

18 REPLIES 18
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Re: Full Fibre Prices

Fix

@rabbitymoo we charge the same amount to all customers. We used to have different markets depending on the area but that isn't a thing any more and was abolished many moons ago.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
rabbitymoo

Brilliant, thanks very much for the swift response 😀

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

You're very welcome Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@willcutforth 

While regional pricing for Plusnet may not be the current approach, the pricing seems extremely variable (changing every few days) and new customers seem to be offered slightly cheaper prices than existing customers.

I'm looking as my contract runs out in the summer and with Plusnet no longer offering a phone service I'm considering my options.

I am the satisfied customer....
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Yes the prices seem to vary quite frequently and the price hierarchy for full fibre products does not strictly follow the speeds - for instance, I have seen 500 less than 300. I have noticed that prices have also crept up over the past few weeks and so if you renew now you could be hit with a double whammy when the annual price increase hits at the end of the month.

My contract also expires in the summer and so it will be interesting to see if offers are better nearer that date to tempt me to stay. I am fortunate as we have three wholesale suppliers in the street competing for customers via various retailers.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@rabbitymoo 

Speed for speed, FTTP costs about the same as FTTC and should be more reliable. By signing up you are contributing to bringing full fibre to your area, which should enhance property values and future proof your data connection.

It’s taxpayers money being spent to provide you and your neighbours with the same benefits as enjoyed in urban areas.

My village has recently reached the golden target and Openreach are currently surveying their cable ducts. We are not on any current update plans so would not be getting full fibre for the foreseeable future without this Government hand out. Grab the opportunity before funding dries up!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@rabbitymoo 

As stated, OpenReach needs a certain amount of people to sign up to make it cost effective for the whole area.

Generally speaking, Full Fibre is better than FTTC in that you should get near advertised speeds with lower latency (if you're a gamer). It's probably more reliable than FTTC as well (less to go wrong).

The down side is you lose your landline if this matters to you. To keep a service (and your number) you need to set up an independant VOIP provider account and port the number with 30 days of change. Your phone service will be going anyway by the end of 2025 when PSTN is due to be switched off. PN don't do VOIP.

If you have a good mobile signal than many people have abandoned their landline entirely.

It's probably better in an extended power cut (if you have power back up units). FTTC Cabinet's tend not to have the best power back up but the Full Fibre goes back to a main Excahnge which should have better back up (and may not even be suffering a cut if you are).

Finally, FF78 is the lowest speed PN offer - I'm on this and it suits me just fine. No landline, using mobile where required.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@bmc wrote:

@rabbitymoo 

The down side is you lose your landline if this matters to you. L

I have heard this reason before and it is not the full story.

Yes, the landline will be needed to be moved to VoIP, but come the end of next year so is every other landline phone. In fact, depending when the full fibre comes live and the OP moves to the new service we will be likely getting well towards the end of the PSTN anyway.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wildswan
Hooked

I am surprised that the PN full fibre prices are 30% to 50% higher than the other offerigns that I have in my street.  'Grain' is a 'cable' full fibre provider here and it is looking like I will have to move at the end of my contract.  Can I keep my domain name?  If not, then too bad, but I won't pay an extra £10 or £15 a month just to keep my domain name.

Pity, because I have been with PN for a long time, just like I was for mobile.  The 'deals' that i was offered if I transferred to EE worked out twice the cost per month of what I now have (and I now have 5G too).

It seems that PN is just being run down, but the prices don't seem to reflect that.

bmc
Hero

@wildswan 

Is OpenReach full fibre available at your address? Check the following - you're looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

I am surprised that the PN full fibre prices are 30% to 50% higher than the other offerigns that I have in my street.  'Grain' is a 'cable' full fibre provider here and it is looking like I will have to move at the end of my contract.

At the moment , none of the providers who use BT wholesale Full fibre will compete with the Altnet suppliers such as your example 'Grain'

Can I keep my domain name? 

If you mean the <acccountname>.plus.com , then No. If you have your own domain hosted by Plsunet then Yes, but you will need to transfer the registration and hosting to another supplier.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wildswan
Hooked

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

bmc
Hero

@wildswan 

Thanks for that.

So you have a choice of Full Fibre providers and any ISP who uses them. When checking prices look at the out of contract price. This gives an indication of the true price of the connection.

I assume you're aware you'll lose your phone line and and PN email addresses (if you use PN email) if you leave.

Brian

wildswan
Hooked

The 'out of contract price' for my current PN broadband is £54.

So, there's no reason to stay with PN unless on a contract.  And hence there's no point in comparing other 'out of contract' prices with the contract price, because they are all probably gonna be bad.  They want you over a barrel to keep you locked in.

I will probably move at the end of my current contract.

I have already got another e-mail address that I am switching stuff over to.

PN take note, 'don't taika de pi$$' with me, it'll cost you.  Once I leave, it's over.