Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre 145 install and price issues

asm46598
Dabbler

Full Fibre 145 install and price issues

Hi,

around July 8th I ordered Full Fibre 145 from the upgrade page from my account page on the website. The offer was for £30.99 for 24 months, the same offer that others have received.

Install was supposed to be tomorrow but I have not received the new router. I phoned customer support who told me the router was not sent out and are going to try to rearrange the install. If they can't I was told to refuse the install and be charged £65 and the customer service person said they will reimburse me.

The customer service person also said the cost of the new service was £35 per month, and checking the emails I was sent they also mention £35, even though the offer on the website was £30.99 for the first 24 months.

Does anyone know how much I will actually be charged, £35 or £30.99? Have double-checked the email and the product is definitely Full Fibre 145.

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Full Fibre 145 install and price issues

Install was supposed to be tomorrow but I have not received the new router. I phoned customer support who told me the router was not sent out and are going to try to rearrange the install. If they can't I was told to refuse the install and be charged £65 and the customer service person said they will reimburse me.

Do you not have an existing router ? which model is it ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

asm46598
Dabbler

Existing router is VDSL only, BT Business Smart Hub.

I do have a Netgear R6200 which I though might work but the CSR said it wouldn't.

##EDIT: Sorry It is a R6250 ##

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I do have a Netgear R6200 which I though might work but the CSR said it wouldn't.

@asm46598 the R6200 will work fine. Just connect its WAN port to the ONT. You will need to configure it with your Plusnet username/password.

So no need to delay the installation

I'll just go and check about the Business Smart Hub...

Sorry It is a R6250 that will be fine as well

edit: Ok, so the Bus Smart Hub won't work. It has no WAN port facility, the FTTP version has different firmware which converts LAN port 4 to a WAN port

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

asm46598
Dabbler

Thanks, have set up the R6250 but cannot test at the moment, will wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Also phoned CS again to point out the £30.99/£35 issue and they have emailed me confirming £30.99 price for 24 months.

Seems Plusnet's processes and procedures still need a bit of a polish before full fibre is released to everyone.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@asm46598 Yes Plusnet's processes and customer support can be somewhat flaky, what on earth were they thinking in your opening post ...."I phoned customer support who told me the router was not sent out and are going to try to rearrange the install."

There is absolutely no reason to postpone  the FTTP installation it would just cause extra delay and confusion, the connection can be tested with a PC directly connected to the ONT in the unlikely event of your own router not working.

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

When I had my FTTP installed the Openreach engineer was keen to remove the old copper lines.  Because we had overhead cables he wanted to use the old copper to pull the fibre cable over.

If he removed the copper when installing the fibre and there was no suitable router to use on fibre you could potentially be without a connection.

asm46598
Dabbler

Engineer came and did the install. Unfortunately there is 'no light on the CBT' so no internet for at least a few weeks.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@asm46598  Openreach do not install FTTP if the infrastructure is not ready, that is the build of the fibre from the head end exchange, the splitter and the CBTs have to be tested to be working. Who said it will be a least a few weeks before it's fixed? I guess it was the installation guy who probably hasn't got a clue, was it a contractor by any chance?

So it isn't working for you, the likely problem is Openreach have made an error somewhere and mixed up the fibres, probably at the splitter or there is a disconnect somewhere. Just tell Plusnet  to raise a fault with "their supplier" and it should be fixed within a few days.

asm46598
Dabbler

The engineer tried every port on the CBT, and also a few ports on a second CBT, none of them were connected. It seems I was the first person in my area to order fttp which only became available a few weeks ago. I heard the engineer speaking to someone on the phone, it was the other guy who said it would be a few weeks. Sounds like the whole street isnt working.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@asm46598  Have you made any progress with the order, have Plusnet got back to you?  If not you should be pushing them to get it sorted. 

Not too sure what the engineers were thinking trying different CBT's, because they aren't going to work for you. Each CBT is allocated to a specific address using a NAD code, and the circuit routing has to match up with the serial number of the ONT at that address. Perhaps they were checking that there was no light coming down the fibres at all.🙄

asm46598
Dabbler

I phoned plusnet, a fault has been raised. I think the engineer was checking whether any of the ports were connected, apparently they are not. It seems my area was recently cabled for fibre by a contractor. It seems there are lots of issues in those parts of the Sheffield S10 area that were recently cabled.
Mark63
Rising Star

Don't take a nonsense from Openreach (with PN as the proxy) If it's going to be weeks or months (rather than days) Demand to have the copper connection replaced, or demand a 4/5G router is supplied to you, with a paid for SIM Card.

asm46598
Dabbler

Currently I'm using an old phone with a giffgaff sim to create a wifi hotspot. I have been promised an update on Monday.

asm46598
Dabbler

Update today: Engineer was unable to clear the fault. Another customer also affected. Another engineer will attend this week and attempt to clear both faults. Next update Aug 1st.