cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those on FTTP - which speed is best?

isdoo
Dabbler

For those on FTTP - which speed is best?

Do we really need 500 mbps or will 150mbps suit most people?

Yes I run my office, but I have also survived on 45mbps for a few years.

So just wondering why I need to spend another £10 a month on 500mbps - or is it the case of a higher speed will ensure you don't drop too low?

My choice seems to be 74, 150 or 500.

17 REPLIES 17
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: For those on FTTP - which speed is best?

I'm on the 74 version (although it is from part of the old FTTP Trial) and have been since 2014. Suits our needs (3 adults, all entertainment streamed and general use)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

I went for as fast as I could get - because the upload speeds varies on the download speed
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@isdoo 

If your current speed works for you then you probably only need FF78. With FTTP you get near to the advertised speeds so around 76 down and 20 up.

You can always upgrade your connection at a later date. There are other speeds available (FF36, FF300 & FF900 I believe).

I assume you realize you lose your phone number if upgrading to FTTP.

Brian

isdoo
Dabbler

@bmc 

Thanks.

Seems that I can sign up as a new customer and keep the phone line.

bmc
Hero

@isdoo 

With some work you can. You however lose PN e-mail and any other add ons you may have.

If you sign up as a new customer you get the option to keep your phone number but with another provider. VOIP seems to be the way to go on that score. Transferring out you number will cancel your current DSL account.

If you work with a member of staff (not looking at anyone @Gandalf ) you get your FTTP up and running first. As soon as that's done you port your number out which cancels your DSL account. You'll be on the hook for two account charges for the period between FTTP activation and porting your number. However, PN have waived any early termination fees for cancelling DSL accounts in the past (hence the need for staff involvement) so long as PN FTTP is activated first.

Brian

isdoo
Dabbler

Thanks @bmc 

I did previously have an order but it got mucked up by the Plusnet website and has taken me over a month to cancel and allow me to restart.

Of course during that time I didn't realise I could start over as a new customer.

I do not use Plusnet email or indeed anything else. So nothing to lose.

Been loyal to Plusnet for many years.

bmc
Hero

@isdoo 

I would wait for a staff member to confirm they'll waive early termination charges on the DSL account if you go down the new customer route.

It'll also give you the chance to line up a new phone provider - VOIP or otherwise. Sipgate seemed to be the preferred choice of many but they no longer do free accounts (£10pm now I believe).

Brian

cocowalla
Dabbler

> You can always upgrade your connection at a later date. There are other speeds available (FF36, FF300 & FF900 I believe).

Hmm, let's say I'm on the 330Mb package, but am only syncing at 200Mb - if I upgraded to the 500Mb package, would I still only sync at 200Mb?

isdoo
Dabbler

@cocowalla  it would increase to a minimum of 275mb and upload of 75mb

cocowalla
Dabbler

> it would increase to a minimum of 275mb and upload of 75mb

I don't understand this; if I can't sync at higher than 200Mb on the 330Mb package, how come it would sync at higher speed on a different package?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@cocowalla wrote:

Hmm, let's say I'm on the 330Mb package, but am only syncing at 200Mb - if I upgraded to the 500Mb package, would I still only sync at 200Mb?

@cocowalla 

I'm not sure where you get the idea that your FTTP connection has a sync speed.  It's not like a DSL service where the modem needs to achieve a 'best effort' type connection.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

On FTTP there isn't a sync speed, and the line quality doesn't dictate the speed you get.  Either the line will work or it won't.  The ONT always connects at a certain speed (something like 2.5GB down and 1.2GB up, though I might have the exact figures wrong).  The speed is then capped by the profile set against it to the speed that is purchased.  

Edit: And @RobPN beat me to it!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cocowalla
Dabbler

> I'm not sure where you get the idea that your FTTP connection has a sync speed.  It's not like a DSL service where the modem needs to achieve a 'best effort' type connection.

I got that idea from Plusnet support, who told me that I was only syncing at that rate! I guess that was a lie, as someone else from Plusnet told me it's nonsense too... I get the impression a lot of the support folk are... not the best, and more interested in closing tickets than resolving them Sad

cocowalla
Dabbler

@pjmarsh 

> the speed is then capped by the profile set against it to the speed that is purchased.  

If I only get 200Mb on the 330Mb package, do you think speeds would be faster if I upgraded to the 500Mb package?

In a sense I'm hoping "no", as that could be a way to get out of the contract early if Plusnet can't/won't help resolve my speed issues!