Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally FTTP has arrived for me

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Finally FTTP has arrived for me

@jab1 @Unfortunately L2C tells you nothing about the actual details. It is some odd OR internal abbreviation for Line to Cash and pops up on the checker for any non standard FTTP installation. I have seen it in some OR documents and can only assume it has has been dreamt up  by bean counters. 

The interesting thing is that the notes state it is a single unit dwelling, not multiple so something strange there.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Reading the first reference I found under a search using 'L2C Openreach', I think you may be mistaken in thinking it is an invoiceable process, but I could be wrong.

John
jab1
Legend

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@jab1 @Unfortunately L2C tells you nothing about the actual details. It is some odd OR internal abbreviation for Line to Cash and pops up on the checker for any non standard FTTP installation. I have seen it in some OR documents and can only assume it has has been dreamt up  by bean counters. 

The interesting thing is that the notes state it is a single unit dwelling, not multiple so something strange there.

Openreach terminology is in a world of its own, @RealAleMadrid , but if it was liable to cost the EU, presumably PN would be advised, and pass that information on to the customer?

As regards the SUD comment - see above. 😉

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

L2C is simply Openreach terminology for Lead to Cash. Meaning it is not a simple installation, and would need an experienced installer to try and find a simple solution.

So for @TheRealDabhand  get your best China out, stock up with choky digestives, fig rolls or even millionaires shortbread and be be prepared to do all you can to make sure the Openreach rep has the simplest job they can. Have a real good look at how the current line comes to your property, work out if fibre could be done in a more simple way, consider installing trunking with a draw cord, getting any techy mates round to have a look to help with ideas, basically the more you can do to help will pay off. 

Otherwise like the bank, the cop who pulls you over, the computer will say no or you fail the attidute test - hopefully upi know what I mean.

TheRealDabhand
Dabbler

@Mustrum Had a friend who is ex-BT engineer, had a nosey and told me the best and easiest way is for them to drill through go over a  couple of doors along the frames and to the next available outlet. Otherwise to get to the master socket it would require a lot of work and getting into the wall itself, which of course is a no no. So guess that will be the quickest way to do it, come in bottom of wall, staple gun cable around skirtings and 2 door frames to the first electrical outlet and put the fibre socket there so the router can be plugged into the wall.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@TheRealDabhand  OK, but Openreach will be looking for the simplest way to get the fibre inside the property - after that it is up to you.  Going round doorframes might need serious encouragement - think trunking and drawstrings as a minimum. 

The alternative would be for you to run an ethernet cable between the easy option ONT place and where you want the router. 

The days of door frames and up the stairs alas are long gone, unless you are paying extra for it.

But hey, so let us know how it goes. 

TheRealDabhand
Dabbler

@Mustrum that is the shortest and easiest route, the master socket is further away in another room, not sure how they will get the fibre to that easily. It can't be put under the carpet across the floor bypassing the 2 doors as my mother who I live with has severe COPD and she would find that a tripping hazard if it is raised.

bmc
Hero

@TheRealDabhand 

With FTTP the location of the Master Socket is a red herring - it becomes redundant when FTTP goes live.

In #7 you state the block has been "wired up" - does this mean they've already run the fibre optic cable into the communal telecom cupboard?

Out of interest which floor are you on?

I assume you know you're losing your landline when FTTP goes live. I mention this due to your mothers health.

jab1
Legend

@TheRealDabhand wrote:

@Mustrum that is the shortest and easiest route, the master socket is further away in another room, not sure how they will get the fibre to that easily. It can't be put under the carpet across the floor bypassing the 2 doors as my mother who I live with has severe COPD and she would find that a tripping hazard if it is raised.

@TheRealDabhand Considering the dimensions of the cable, I doubt the slight 'height increase' would be noticeable, but in any case, without knowing the exact layout of your flat, I would suspect that if it was possible, the fibre cable would follow the route of your current telephone cable.

John
bmc
Hero

@jab1

This is the fibre cable in my house. Don't know that I'd be happy with it under a carpet - it's a lot more fragile than copper cable.

FF Cable a.jpg

@TheRealDabhand 

If there were any excess construction charges to be applied you would be notified in advance to get your agreement.

In your building where is you Master Socket in relation to the communal telecom cabinet - I thinking is it immediately above the cab in a straight line or is it offset. Guessing it's a 5 story building (3 blocks for 15 flats) I assume a conduit comes up the inside of the building to service each flat with a phone line. If so, then this is the probable route of the fibre if it's already been brought into the building. In which case, the location of the MS beomes a prime location for the ONT. Pure speculation of course.

Brian

jab1
Legend

@bmc Agreed re the cable under a carpet - I wouldn't be happy either unless it was protected in some way.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@TheRealDabhand 

The thing to note is that the ONT needs to come into the property close to an electrical outlet. It bears no relationship to where you wish to locate the router as these can be interconnected by up to 100m of CAT 5e Ethernet cable. Flat versions are available that are very thin and would probably be undetectable under carpet. Alternatively, round cable is no thicker than carpet edging gripper strips and is undetectable if installed at the inner edge of the gripper.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero

@TheRealDabhand 

I'm speculating here but given the information in posts #1 and #3 I think you live on the ground floor of the block and your Master Socket is only 5 meters away from the communal telecom cabinet (although you could be on the first floor). I've also already speculated that OR have brought the fibre optic cable into the block to the cabinet (you spoke about the building being "wired up")..

If so I strongly suspect the first thing OR would look at is trying to get the fibre cable to follow the current copper line - it's only a 5 meter cable pull. Is there a power socket near the MS?

Your router can go anywhere you like so long as it's near power and you're happy to run ethernet cable.

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@bmc  There seems to be rather a lot of guessing and speculating going on. The installation note on the checker states the property is a single dwelling unit with overhead feed from an external CBT, I can't see how this makes any sense if as the OP has stated it is an MDU with a fibre feed already installed in a communal cupboard. The two scenarios are completely different.🤔

bmc
Hero

@RealAleMadrid 

I agree there's a lot of speculation but I hope the OP will see something that makes sense to them.

As reagrds the difference between OR records and the OP's post I know who I believe.

Brian