Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

youngsyp
Grafter

Re: Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

Quote from: andypearson
My BT engineer is returning next Tuesday 22nd to complete my FTTP connection (having "failed" on the 11th due to a broken splitter) but now I fear I may not even be able to connect once he's gone - if the FS116P is in fact NOT what I need!
Help!
Andy
Fear not, you can always connect your laptop/ PC directly to the ONT. You just need to set the PC up as a PPPoE client.
Sounds like Dave has sorted it anyway now.  Smiley
Paul
girishla

Hi Dave,
Please can you add me to the trial? I will happily pay for it if necessary.
My plusnet userid is girishla
Regards,
Girish
thomjo
Dabbler

Dave
Thanks again for just making things happen. My whole plusnet experience after a month or so has been very positive and your running of this fibre trial has been the key part of that. How refreshing, especially after the frustrations of trying to deal with bt retail. Really looking forward to putting the fibre to the test.
Any preference on what you want me to do with the Netgear switch?
John
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi Girish, welcome to the forum, just checked your account and one of my colleagues has already replied to your ticket. We'll pick the order up shortly for you.
John, I'll get a postage paid returns bag sent out to you to send it back if you can please.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
imustbemad

Hi Dave,
Thanks for running a very informative forum for the FTTP trial.
I've been discussing via ticket  #39569279 about getting onto the FTTP trial in Milton Keynes.  I'm really happy that I got a phone call yesterday to arrange the installation date (3-March).  On the phone the chap (sorry don't remember his name) was quite clear about it being FTTP.
- but having just checked the ticket to see if the appointment is confirmed (it  is - great !)  I'm now concerned about what is being sent out to me...The first reply on Sunday confirms 100M/15Mbps (so FTTP), but then everything else seems to refer to FTTC trial.
Please can you check if I'm really getting the right equipment and appointment for FTTP ? 
Hopefully I'm worrying unnecessarily and the days of a 500kbps connection are soon to be behind me !
Thanks,
Rob.

thomjo
Dabbler

Thanks Dave
FYI, Royal Mail attempted to deliver the router on Saturday.  I picked it up last night.  Got it all set up and working now but haven't been able to give it a full test yet.  I've had the ONT installed in the living room (in advance of new internet capable tv purchase) and am therefore wireless to the pc in study.  Suffering a bit from a combination of old g wireless card and loads of interfering wires round the back of my pc - weak and patchy signal.  Completed the router set-up routine on my ipod, which worked well and now have super quick iTunes downloads.  New n wireless card for the pc will be fitted soon which will improve the situation and allow me to test wireless capability more thoroughly.  Meantime, the missus is away tomorrow night so I should have a good few uninterrupted hours where I can hard-wire a work laptop and test vpn and generally have a good play around.  Will give you an update in due course and will return the switch as soon as I can get to a post office.
Many thanks again
John
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi Rob, welcome to the trial and welcome to the forum. I've checked the order and there's nothing to worry about, my colleague just typo'd FTTC for FTTP. The order has been placed for FTTP and the FTTP router has been ordered (Netgear WNR3500) and should be with you this week.
John, glad the router's arrived OK. Looks like the sort of thing lots of people are seeing with kit that worked perfectly fine with ADSL now causing a bottleneck on FTTP, the leap in speed can be so massive. We could probably dedicate a whole book never mind a line or two on a setup guide to the kind of problems we've seen so far. That and what happens on the install day and what the engineers can and can't do tend to be the two most common questions and issues.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
imustbemad

Hi Dave,
Thanks for checking - looking forward to 3-Mar. 
Rob.
thomjo
Dabbler

The new wireless n card arrived today and after a bit of teeth nashing at install we're all up and running between the router and the pc.  I'm still playing around with positioning and ariel direction, but have managed to get a fairly stable good/very good signal which is producing much better results this afternoon, consistently 16+ Mbps download and 10+ upload.  Still need to give a full hardwired run to see what the fibre is delivering, but even at these wireless speeds I'm 10x faster than ADSL was giving me.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1172188932.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1172210454.png
Best regards
John
stottfold

Hi Dave
Please can you add me to the trial? I have logged a support ticket (ref 40106786) and I'm really keen to move onto FTTP soon!  Smiley
Many thanks
Chris
adkchum
Dabbler

Monring Dave,
Have just submited a ticket for the FTTP trial on the Bradwell Abbey exchange (MK) #40195800
Thanks, Al  Cool
imustbemad

Hi Dave,
Openreach engineer arrived this morning but reached the conclusion that the ducts are blocked so he's gone away and I will now have to wait for the duct clearing team (men with digging equipment) to come.  The engineer expected this to happen next week. (let's hope it's a bit more straight forward after that)
I hope this means I don't have to wait too long for the new appointment.
(my DSL speed has dropped even further - but I've another ticket for that)
Rob.
thomjo
Dabbler

Hi Dave
I was logged on via VPN yesterday evening between 6 and 7 and speedtest.net was telling me I was restricted to c128kb download.  Perhaps not strictly a fibre trials question, but is there any way that my VPN (CISCO client) could be categorised as Peer2Peer or Binary USENET, which are the only two categories of traffic that should be limited to that degree at that time on my Extra package?  Is there a more detailed traffic categorisation than that available on the Help/Support site?
John
sohara

Dave, any further news about Broughton Gate? It's been very busy in terms of Openreach vans with what look like compressors - does that finally mean that FTTP is a possibility in the near future?
lightbeing

Hi Dave,
Very kindly could you please include me in the trial?
Here is a bit of a background,
I logged a request to join the FTTP trial on 27/1/2011 but have received no reply so far. The reason I joined  plus.net was on the advice of one of your technical support people. He assured me that I would be able to get onto the fttp trial within two weeks of moving onto plus.net after lodging a request.
I was part of the BT FTTP trial back in 2004 and as far as I know the fibre is probably still intact.
I live in Bolbeck Park in Milton Keynes and my Exchange is Bradwell Abbey.
Many thanks for your help,
Ali