Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTPoD Discussion - 29 Apr 2013 rollout

ncf355
Grafter

Re: FTTPoD Discussion - 29 Apr 2013 rollout

Odd,
That link seems to just take me to cc of the PN homepage?
AndyH
Grafter

ncf355
Grafter

Aha
Submitted for it now
Thanks Andy
machare
Rising Star

Quote from: AndyH
BTO's minimum term is 36 months for FTTPoD and I imagine the monthly rental will be £50+
Would you also need to pay the BT (or Plusnet) line rental, if you cancelled you copper connection?.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You'll still be renting a line - Just not a copper one
machare
Rising Star

Quote from: pwatson
You'll still be renting a line - Just not a copper one

No, if I did nothing I would have two lines. One fibre and one copper. However, I would not need two connections. My preference would be to discontinue the copper connection and the charge for it.
At the moment I pay BT for a copper line which I also use for my Plusnet ADSL broadband connection. There is a physical requirement for the line.
With FTTP there is no technical requirement for a copper line, so why should I have to pay for one? 
AndyH
Grafter

BTO's pricing for FTTPoD doesn't state there is a requirement for an associated WLR/MPF service (line rental).
With FTTP there are three prices: with/without an associated WLR/MPF service, and a combined data/voice package. The associated WLR/MPF service doesn't need to be with the same ISP (some smaller ones like AAISP don't offer it anyway). The combined service and WLR + FTTP data are priced pretty much the same so there is no immediate incentive for voice over fibre.
I don't actually know any ISPs specifically offering voice over fibre at the moment (there are some trials ongoing). Pure fibre is still a relative niche product.
machare
Rising Star

The combined service and WLR + FTTP data are priced pretty much the same so there is no immediate incentive for voice over fibre.

Thank you for your reply.
If that is the case could one not save the cost of the WLR/MPF and then use VOIP to say Sipgate?
AndyH
Grafter

Devonian
Grafter

I tried to fill in the trials form, but it keeps saying 'enter valid mobile number' upon pressing Enter!
machare
Rising Star

Prices are here:

Many thanks
mikehiow
Grafter

Is there any suggestion on how you find out the FTTPoD cost?
Is it a case of OR's systems can work out distances and give an estimate, or is it case of getting a surveyor out that'll no doubt cost money.
I'd consider it if it was closer to £500 than £1000.
I'm also curious what happens if you move house within 36 months.
Picnic
Grafter

The prices document says
Openreach will calculate the relevant distance band for an Order using the radial distance from the relevant aggregation node and calculated using the details recorded by Openreach.

Also you'll need to be within 200m of your aggregation node to get your install less than 1K. I too am interested in how you find out where your aggregation node is and thus what an installation will cost. Will anybody be closer to their aggregation node than their FTTC cab? I'm already over 700m from the Cab and I'm thinking it'll just be too much cost to justify.
Is there somewhere where there is talk of PlusNet and Vectoring? Is this something more cost effective without the same top line speeds?
mikehiow
Grafter

I don't know where they lay these aggregation nodes out, but my cab is around 200m away and the path the copper lines take back to the exchange is down the road, back past my house.
I think somewhere between me and the FTTC cabinet is where they would come off to get the next closest cabinet, if you were to think about it logically. So if you were speaking logically, it could be closer than the cabinet - but since when have BT ever done things logically?
cja
Grafter

Are you planning a trial of
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5811-fibre-on-demand-early-market-deployment-areas-now-known.html
I'd be interested, I'm in one of the trial areas, have been a customer for nearly 10 year and am about to move home (still in one of the trial areas) and I am seriously interested in Fibre on Demand.  My new home has BT checker estimated speed of 70/20 on the current offering FTTC.
What do I need to register interest and get a price for the service from Plusnet ?
Chris