cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP upgrade - line training

anonymousthegee
Dabbler

FTTP upgrade - line training

I had my Plusnet upgrade to FTTP this morning (900/115) - for those that have had the FTTP install, how long did it take for full speeds to be achieved?

I'm currently getting around 75/95 - clearly a way off what I should be getting for download. OR engineer said it'll settle and the install was all good/the line training will kick in. But, I'm dubious given it's around the 76mpbs download limit of FTTC that maybe there's an artificial limit im place? (I had this in the past when I switched to FTTC).

So, how long have others waited before getting the proper speeds?

22 REPLIES 22
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: FTTP upgrade - line training

@anonymousthegee There's no line training on FTTP it should be running at the correct speeds straight away. Some other profile may be limiting the speed. It needs Plusnet to investigate.

Edit : If you are on a static WAN IP the Plusnet current line speed profile could be capping your throughput speed.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@anonymousthegee  what does your account https://www.plus.net/member-centre/broadband say for 'Current line speed' ? and do you have either a static IP or the Plusnet firewall enabled ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

anonymousthegee
Dabbler

@MisterW  @RealAleMadrid Thanks 

Current line speed in the portal is 1000mbps. But yes, I do have a static IP. So sounds like there's a cap still being applied based on that static IP?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@anonymousthegee  profile changes only take effect on a PPPoE reconnect. Could be that the profile changed after the last reconnect. Try dropping the PPPoE and reconnecting, see if that has any effect ?

BTW you might also find that you havent been allocated your correct static IP. There's a problem currently being investigated where some FTTP product accounts are not being allocated the static IP by RADIUS

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

anonymousthegee
Dabbler

@MisterW No effect dropping/reconnecting - still at 76. I have the correct static IP - was the first thing I checked before speedtest as I thought that'd be the thing that would get lost.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I have the correct static IP -

@anonymousthegee now that's interesting , I know that others have 'lost' the static IP temporarily and its under investigation.

Are you using the PlusNet Hub2 router or your own ? I notice from earlier posts you had a Tplink VR2600.

I ask because I know from my experience that my Draytek 2830 ( Ok its a big longer in the tooth! ) was maxing out at about 100Mbps on the downstream.

Although your limit of 76Mbps does look suspiciously like an 80 profile from FTTC

anonymousthegee
Dabbler

@MisterW I'm currently using the Plsunet Hub 2 router, but will be looking to switch my own back in once I know all is well.

I've been on to support - looks like it's just a case that I need my account profile update to go through - it's still on the FTTC profile. That account profile update process just cannot be triggered manually, so a case of waiting for that to go through which should be done any time now until midnight. Fingers crossed!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I've been on to support - looks like it's just a case that I need my account profile update to go through - it's still on the FTTC profile

@anonymousthegee  I assume they're referring to a BT profile. Presumably that's why it can't be changed manually. I'm a bit surprised that the PlusNet profile has already updated but will bow to support's greater knowledge.

Can you let us know if the static IP stays after the update ?

anonymousthegee
Dabbler

@MisterW re: static IP, will do.

I'm paraphrasing from what I can recall tbh, but it was along the lines of - "everything was good/completed on the Openreach order side, but that profile would be updated once their systems have sync'd down to notify the exchange to remove the cap/update the profile".

anonymousthegee
Dabbler

@MisterW - My IP has changed, static IP lost 😕

I am getting faster speeds now - though still a way off 900 (I've maxxed out at somewhere mid 600's Mbps - cat6 ethernet ->  gigabit port on a Dell Thunderbolt 3 dock -> high spec Dell XPS 15 laptop). Need to try some more tests when I have time

I've tried my original router (TP-Link Archer VR2600) to compare, but that will not connect, despite reconfiguring it to Wireless Router mode and connecting ONT to the right LAN/WAN port. But I'll raise a separate discussion for that later.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@anonymousthegee  sorry to hear about the static IP. Hopefully its not lost completely, from what I hear about the problem , the static IP is still retained in the account, its just that RADIUS doesnt assign it. So , hopefully when the problem is resolved our old static IPs should come back.

As to speed tests , others experience is that Ookla is by far and away the most consistent, Thinkbroadband is good but the BT wholesale one is all over the place.

There's no reason why the 2600 shouldnt work as long as the username/password is correct

paulspeller
Rising Star

Oh dear, I've just found this thread while having similar speed-capping problems with my 36-hour-old 500Mbps FTTP upgrade. It sounds like at some point soon I will suddenly get better speeds but will also lose my static IP at the same time? I specifically checked I would keep my static IP before I signed up for the upgrade. Do we know how close to a resolution that problem is? Is there anything I can do to prevent the static IP being lost in the meantime? Thanks.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Do we know how close to a resolution that problem is?
I'm afraid not.

Is there anything I can do to prevent the static IP being lost in the meantime? Thanks
.in a word, no.

paulspeller
Rising Star

Thanks!

This is really bad, I've lost my static IP now. And I don't even have the speeds I've paid for, I'm on a 500 product but it's still running at about 90, even after a reconnect.

Do you think Plusnet could perhaps sort out some sort of DynDNS service for this unspecified period when the static IP isn't working, so at least I could point a static hostname at my ever-changing IP?

How long have they known about this? They really shouldn't have sold me this product if they knew about this, it was the first thing I asked when I called!