cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP install with two connection points?

Deltanet
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

FTTP install with two connection points?

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any experience of having OpenReach add two connection points (i.e. separate rooms of the house) for an FTTP install?

Ideally it would be one ONT point to used for the hub/router and then an ethernet connection to the other room, but I'm not sure if they'd do that, or be able to fit two ONT boxes (but this would mean two routers and complicate the network set up?).

I currently have a 1Gb capable router with a powerful firewall I want to keep, going into a WiFi mesh system in access point mode.

Thanks
Tom
2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

Re: FTTP install with two connection points?

Ideally it would be one ONT point to used for the hub/router and then an ethernet connection to the other room, but I'm not sure if they'd do that

Openreach won't but there's nothing stopping you doing that. I have exactly that scenario, an ethernet cable which runs between a patch box next to the ONT and another patch box in a different room. The router is connected to the ONT and then one of its LAN ports connected to the patch box. The other patch box is connected to a wireless access point in the other room.

or be able to fit two ONT boxes (but this would mean two routers and complicate the network set up?).

Even if it was possible, you would need to pay for two FTTP connections, and as you say, a complicated network setup.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Deltanet
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: FTTP install with two connection points?

Thanks @MisterW

That's helpful