Did you mean: 

FTTP deployed, issue to property?

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTP deployed, issue to property?

Hi David,
I can see the current forward plans of where FTTC and FTTP are going to go. The postcode you've posted is showing as covered by 1 cab and that cab area is due to get FTTP. Do you know if your postcode covers any buildings apart from where you live?
FTTP for flats as others have said is more complicated than to houses because of the permission to run the fibre to and through the building (and the actual running of the fibre through the building). There are a lot of flats now enabled for FTTP because the management company/owner/developers have worked with Openreach to let them install it.
I presume your address and phone number are correct on your account details page on the member centre? If so I'll see if I can find anything out for you.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: dave

I can see the current forward plans of where FTTC and FTTP are going to go. The postcode you've posted is showing as covered by 1 cab and that cab area is due to get FTTP. Do you know if your postcode covers any buildings apart from where you live?

Hi Dave
Not really any of my business, but being curious I had already put Davids postcode into Google Maps and Street View (see my reply #13 above).  I then put the address of a nearby house (number 61) and the same postcode into the DSL address checker which said that FTTP was already available at that address.
That address result also said the house was covered by Cab 13 which is what David earlier recalled was his cabinet number.
Rob
Edit: added 2nd paragraph
David_W
Rising Star

As RobPN said, people in my street already enjoy FTTP (I checked too, them at #1 can get it too!).  My address and phone number on my account are accurate.  It's the whole "some people in my street can get it, others can't" which is vexing but if you can figure out what is really going on, that'd be sweetness.
AndyH
Grafter

Sounds like it could just be a records issue then and they've not updated the database.
Just to confirm though...do you live in a block of flats or house?
David_W
Rising Star

Block of flats/apartments, 3 stories high, I'm on the bottom floor.
AndyH
Grafter

Are the other people that can get FTTP on your street part of the same building development (i.e. same developer/block of flats etc.)?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've asked the question, my contact at Superfast Cornwall is away this week but I'll get back to you next week when hopefully I'll have some news.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
David_W
Rising Star

Cheers Dave, fingers are crossed for good news.
Quote from: AndyH
Are the other people that can get FTTP on your street part of the same building development (i.e. same developer/block of flats etc.)?

The entire street is the same building development made by the same people (they tore down an old factory and built on the land).  I'll have to go outside and work out which numbers are where and work out who has fibre, that'd be fun, spot the 330Mb'ers.........
Just checked using google maps, the house directly to the left is #61 and can get 330Mb, the block of flats just infront on the left, can't, that is how close the fibre is to my property!
/edit 2 - that square manhole cover to the right of the Merc is where the BT guy was a few months ago laying stuff down, no idea if that cover serves #61 or not though.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: David
Just checked using google maps, the house directly to the left is #61 and can get 330Mb, the block of flats just infront on the left, can't, that is how close the fibre is to my property!

I'm assuming you're looking for the CSP (consumer slice point - where the external fibre is joined to your internal fibre). The grey box to the left of the Seat has fibre (House 62).
Looking on Street View...most houses do. Numbers 61/62 do for sure.
David_W
Rising Star

I had a little wander taking numbers and putting them into the ICUK checker, none of the flats can get fibre no matter where they are located so yeah, it's obviously to do with the flats be they private or social, none of us on the same street can get fibre when the house right next to or across from us can do.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi David,
It's good and bad news. The good news is that the plan is to enable your flat and the others around you for FTTP, the bad news is that it will take a little while before it's ready. Flats present a bit of a design change to the normal FTTP installation. Because there's usually a shared distribution point in a common area of the building and because the residents are usually leaseholders and a 3rd party or management company is responsible for the freehold they need to get the permission of the freeholder to run the fibre to that distribution point (and subsequently to the flats). Plus that needs a different piece of kit to connect to the fibre in the street than if it was a house. As such in a mixed area of flats and houses they can run the external infrastructure and the houses will be ready to order at before the flats just because they are quicker to do and the flats will follow after. It sounds like they have the necessary permission but it can't hurt checking with the management company if there is one to see if they know.
Best thing to do is to keep checking the availability checker, the Superfast Cornwall team have asked Openreach to see if it can be prioritised and they'll let me know when they know more but it could appear on the checker first.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
David_W
Rising Star

Thanks Dave, that's all good news really as now I won't have to move to get FTTP, I just need a bit more patience.  Cheers for finding all that out Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

Well, the good news is that the DSL checker now says I can get Fibre (WOO!) so I went upstairs and told my neighbours, put her number in and it said she can't get it (?)
I've applied for the trial so my fingers are crossed that it'll all happen quickly Cheesy
/edit - as the trial is only 80/ do I need to go through the trial process or can I just order fibre normally?
/edit2 - nupe, can't go through the normal one, do I really have to wait 2 weeks till the ticket is read?
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: David
Well, the good news is that the DSL checker now says I can get Fibre (WOO!) so I went upstairs and told my neighbours, put her number in and it said she can't get it (?)

Congratulations!
Perhaps you can get it because being on the ground floor there is a duct directly to your flat whereas there might not be to the upper flats?  Probably not as simple as that explanation though!
Does your neighbour have a BT/BT based landline?  If she's with Talktalk for example (and some others), AFAIK the DSL checker won't show if fibre is available, in which case use the combination of address/postcode check.
Good luck  Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

My neighbour is with BT for her broadband, though I think maybe the way BT got around the whole "we live in flats" is by reclassifying it?
Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed Not Evaluated.

So doesn't look like anythings been done to the flats they've maybe just, as you said, fiddled with it because it's the ground floor?  Now that I can get it, I want it!  BT offer me 330Mb for £50/month, a little bit more expensive than the £9.99 I currently pay, can't justify leaving PlusNet even for 300Mb speeds at that kind of pricing (don't really watch sports either) so I'm aiming for the £19.99/month package.
As I understand it, it starts off with PlusNet putting the order in (1-2 weeks, they need to look at the ticket so say 3-4 weeks before I get my appointment?) followed by a week later before the BT engineer may (or may not judging by some posts on the forum....) show up?