Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP and Residential number porting

FIXED
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTP and Residential number porting

I've decided that the "two services" route to keeping the phoneline/number whilst upgrading to FTTP , has too much risk of going wrong and moving back to BT after all these years just doesn't seem sensible ,so I've renewed my existing FTTC package with PN for 18 months this morning .  Slight drop in price altho that'll be swallowed up by the Spring price leap !!

So I'm out of this discussion until/unless PN come up with a solution !

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

I renewed mine, but for 2 years, a few months before FTTP arrived in my road. Looking at prices for speeds on offer from Plusnet, I'm better of sticking with my 'new' FTTC contract! Hopefully, by the time it comes up for renewal there will be something in place for those who wish to keep their landline number. Meanwhile, I've started looking at 3rd party VOIP options, just in case.

Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Total_Chaos
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@FlossyThePig 

I have not heard that BT are closing down broadband/FTTC/FTTP for residential customers.  I have heard rumours that they are going to concentrate more on business, but that is all.  They are migrating the brand to the EE brand, though still offering all the current services, and making converging easier where possible.  However, I have seen adverts on Youtube for both BT and EE targetting businesses, thouhg that does not really mean anything other than making businesses aware.  BT have always had a business portfolio for all their services.

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

@Total_Chaos wrote:

@FlossyThePig 

I have not heard that BT are closing down broadband/FTTC/FTTP for residential customers.  I have heard rumours that they are going to concentrate more on business, but that is all.

Did you read the BT press release I linked to? I became aware of it when I read an article in a daily paper and another in ISPreview.

I would imagine that sometime in the (near) future the BT ISP will stop taking on new consumer customers and point existing customers to EE/PN when their contracts are coming up to renewal.

This could give PN time to sort out the FTTP/landjine VOIP problem. It appears that EE don't offer VOIP (Digital Voice)  either.

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

@davidj66 wrote:

I've decided that the "two services" route to keeping the phoneline/number whilst upgrading to FTTP , has too much risk of going wrong and moving back to BT after all these years just doesn't seem sensible ,so I've renewed my existing FTTC package with PN for 18 months this morning .  Slight drop in price altho that'll be swallowed up by the Spring price leap !!

So I'm out of this discussion until/unless PN come up with a solution !

After much soul searching I have renewed my existing package. I hope PN have sorted out the landline mess by mid 2024 so I can upgrade in an orderly manner.

bgiles
Rising Star

It does seem a sensible approach, and the same as I have taken.

Unless there's a genuine need for faster speeds than 65MB, what is the point in upgrading from FTTC to FTTP?

It would be interesting to see opinions from other users if there are indeed any benefits in moving from FTTC Unlimited Fibre Extra (65 - 72MB) to FTTP 74MB Full Fibre, other than current enticement of a £50.00 Reward Card for new customers (which may not be offered to existing customers anyway).

If there are no benefits, which I think is likely, I see no issue in remaining on FTTC anyway, whilst the price remains similar or the same.

Another advantage in doing so is, as I have a UPS supplying power to my router & VoIP phones, I can continue to use the internet and make calls in the event of a power outage. If I were to move to FTTP, I'd need a second UPS for the ONT.

Plusnet SoGEA
DrayTek Vigor2762 VoIP Router
FlossyThePig
Rising Star

@bgiles wrote:

It does seem a sensible approach, and the same as I have taken.

Unless there's a genuine need for faster speeds than 65MB, what is the point in upgrading from FTTC to FTTP?

I agree but when you only get 8Mb down and 0.5Mb up with FTTC anything must be better. Jumping to a different provider (including BT) becomes an expensive option.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@bgiles wrote:

There would seem little point in moving to FTTP at the same service speed as FTTC, however FTTP at a somewhat higher speed might permit more devices to operate concurrently at FTTC speeds.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

FTTP Is not going to be affected by crosstalk and degradation of copper lines. So it will give a more  consistent service than FTTC even if at the same speed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Total_Chaos
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@MisterW 

"FTTP Is not going to be affected by crosstalk and degradation of copper lines. So it will give a more  consistent service than FTTC even if at the same speed"

That depends on where you are located, closeness to the cabinet, the quality of the copper, (or in a few instances aluminium), closeness of the cable pairs to others, and termination.  Copper is also more subjectible to the weather, especially rain, whereas as with fibre it is crushing that is the most likely issue, hence mechanical protection.  Where I live the cabinet is 120 metres by cable length away, the first part is overhead, and then underground to the cabinet termination.  (OpenReach measured cable distance.)  Though there has been the occasional issue with my FTTC generally speaking over the years there has not been any.  Therefore, if somebody is currently happy with their current FTTC then there is no reason to upgrade to FTTP immediately.  This enables PN customers to wait to see if things change as per the PN offering in the future, and by extending their current FTTC contract PN keeps a customer for at least the time being. (There is also the point of guaranteed bandwidth being less at present for FTTP for slightly more bandwidth than with FTTC.)

daveduffyplus

Hi, 

I don't have any solutions but would just like to add my voice to the mix as a new Plusnet Customer

Only migrated from BT to Plusnet Fibre Broadband (not Full) a couple of weeks ago and I am really happy with the existing service - but really want to  upgrade to a faster better 'Full' fibre FTTP  as soon as I get a chance 

Imagine my excitement today when I got mailshot from Sky saying Full Broadband available, jumped on the Plusnet checker  and sure enough I can upgrade!

But....  my family want  to keep the existing residential number (without additional cost) as we have had it for 20 years 

Although alternate ISP's can offer a number porting service, I was disappointed to find that it seems that Plusnet do not offer it at this  stage - odd....  I do not want to go back to BT

Do we know if there are any plans in the pipeline? 

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Hey there @daveduffyplus It's a bit of a pain that we don't do VoIP atm. We haven't been made aware of anything but as soon as anything happens we will more than likely get an email pumped out to customers. Sorry about that.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

The following was posted by @MisterW on another thread. Couldn't see anything on the OFCOM site about it.

However, things are supposed to be changing by April 2023 with the 'right to port' , which allows for number porting for up to 30 days after services are ceased. How this is going to work in reality, only OFCOM knows... (or probably doesnt:face_with_rolling_eyes:)

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

http://www.offta.org.uk/latest-news/telecommunications-adjudicator-update-for-may-2022

Go down to the 'consumer switching and porting

madgav
Grafter

Well I was debating with myself whether to post an update but with the last couple of posts hinting that there may be at least some hope on the horizon I may as well report that my FTTP was installed on 15th November with no real issues. The installer couldn't get the fibre right through the duct to my hall, but he did manage to get it to the front door, avoiding any digging in the driveway or the garden. Three paving slabs had to come up, followed by a bit of digging underneath, and the fibre was routed into the lounge instead as it still wouldn't go through the duct into the hall and there was no other way to get it in there. This was my plan B anyway and I was happy with that. So all finished by lunch time.

I elected to port my landline number out to Andrews & Arnold and the port happened on 22nd November, apparently with no issues. VOIP has been a bit of a learning curve but it now seems to be working on the old analogue phones connected to a Obi100 ATA (£20 on ebay), and the Zoiper app on my mobile phone. I'll do some more testing this weekend to confirm all is well. 

Everything else has remained the same on my account so far - email, webspace and static IP still ok. I will need to check next bill that my referral discount is still being applied.

So a big thank you to PN, particularly @Gandalf and the manager who agreed to let me do this.

Have to say though, now we know there is no technical reason why this can't be done, the option really should be offered to everyone. Hopefully that will happen before too long.