Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Speed Issues on 500

FIXED
PI173

FTTP Speed Issues on 500

Hello PlusNet Community, 

I'm sorry if this has been spoken about many times, however I'm starting to go crazy with the issues that I'm seeing. I had FTTP installed 10 days ago (FTTP 500), once installed everything seemed fine and the Openreach engineer said the line was running at 530mbps, I was overjoyed.

After the engineer left I did my own test, it was showing 300mbps, so straight away I was shocked. The speed then seemed to fluctuate between 13 and 330mbps. I've been working with PlusNet support teams and Openreach engineers at my property however the Openreach engineers are saying the speed is 508mbps at the fibre had off in my property so there seems to be an issue between the OR hand off and the PlusNet router. I've had 2 new routers and 3 new cables none of which have helped. I've been told that the line isn't capped and the support teams have tried all sorts to push the speeds up. 

All tests were completed with wired and wireless devices using the BT wholesale speed checker.

My real frustration is if I can't get anywhere near the 500mbps advertised why is it being offered? and not just offer me the 300 and have it running at the roughly 300mbps I seem to be getting at best efforts. 

Is the minimum guaranteed speed for peak time only, so 6pm-11pm or is the minimum guaranteed speed 24/7 so if i'm sold a 500mbps line but 275 is the minimum speed then they will only ever give me 275? 

Any help or advice would be apricated. The Support teams are still looking into this for me. 

6 REPLIES 6
PI173

Re: FTTP Speed Issues on 500

Forgot to mention that all tests where completed with wired and wireless devices using the wholesale speed checker. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Fix

@PI173  firstly have all the tests been done using one device ? if so , is it possible to test with a different device

Second, the BT wholesale test can be erratic, can you try the Ookla one ( speedtest.net ) preferably using the cli version ( https://www.speedtest.net/apps/cli ) as that seems to give consistent result at higher speeds

Wired test are always the best ones, wireless will max out at around 400Mb anyway unless both the router and client are Wifi 6 capable ( and the Hub 2 isnt )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PI173

Using this https://www.speedtest.net/apps/cli on windows seems to be showing roughly 500mbps on the script, it flashed by so fast that I can hardly tell and I can't seem to find out if it saves the data as a log anywhere. However it seems that the actual speed is around 500mbps it's just the the way in which PlusNet has asked me to check it doesn't show the true speed? confusing.com. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PI173 wrote:

it's just the the way in which PlusNet has asked me to check it doesn't show the true speed?

I'm on 80/20 FTTC/SoGEA and have NEVER seen accurate speeds using the BTW Performance Test

I prefer - https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat  - but don't know whether it is accurate at 500Mbps

The 'waveform' test speeds matches what my (non-Plusnet) router's live traffic throughput graph is showing

The reason Plusnet ask you to use the BTW test, is that the results including other test diagnostic info, are logged by the BTW system and Plusnet support has visibility of those tests associated with your account.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

@PI173 

it flashed by so fast that I can hardly tell and I can't seem to find out 

Speedtest cli should be run in a command prompt window not from file explorer

Windows key +R >Open cmd is the short cut for command window, change the folder to where speedtest was extracted.

HTH

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@PI173 I hadn't used the Windows version , usually I use the Linux one which runs from a command window. However I've just tried the Windows App and it saves the results to a unique url which it will save to the clipboard if you click the 'share' icon ( U with an upward arrow, on the top of the screen )

Previous results can also be accessed from that url , click the 'results' link

However it seems that the actual speed is around 500mbps it's just the the way in which PlusNet has asked me to check it doesn't show the true speed? confusing.com. 

Problem is that Openreach will only accept results from the BT wholesale checker, hence why PN ask for results from that. However, those of us on higher speed FTTP ( I'm on 900/115 ) are aware that it seems to be flawed.

For example I've just done a test with the speedtest cli (albeit wireless , yes I know I really shouldn't! ) and it gives me 320/115 which is about what I would expect and usually get. The BT Wholesale one just reported 580/121 !! The 580 is just about impossible as my wireless AP is only Wifi 5 !

In your case it does seem like there isnt actually a problem, merely the BT test giving erroneous results.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.