Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC > FTTP Upgrade

FIXED
bfaichney

FTTC > FTTP Upgrade

Hi,

So, I currently have FTTC Broadband ONLY from PlusNet - my phone service (line & calls) is with BT. If I upgrade to FTTP with PlusNet will this also cease my phone service, even though PlusNet don't currently provide this? I've been with PlusNet now for probably around 20 years and am loathe to move, but the lack of a digital voice solution may necessitate this. I don't get a reliable mobile phone signal (I live in a hollow which affects all mobile providers, even though their coverage maps suggest otherwise) so I would prefer to retain my landline. If this IS possible, how to I then move to digital voice with BT if that requires a BT-branded router?

Thanks,

Brian.

17 REPLIES 17
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: FTTC > FTTP Upgrade

From what has been written on this forum, there is now a tick box on the FTTP upgrade page which you tick if you have an external landline provider (in your case BT) and wish to keep it. So ticking that box should retain your copper voice line with BT.

Secondly BT, at some point in the future (before 2026), will send you a router to connect to your your copper landline and you would move your phone to the Phone socket on said router. They will enable a 512Kbps data circuit on the copper line which will allow the phone to work over copper but as a BT digital voice customer.

So you will end up with 2 routers at some point in the future, 1 for FTTP and 1 for your BT voice system.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@bfaichney 

I'm not sure if the upgrade path has a tick box for keeping the line - there's certainly one for new customers.

You probably need to speak to Customer Options on 0800 013 2632 about your phone line. I think there's something in the PlusNet system which "takes over" a phone line when ordering FTTP.

You may need to "port" your number out to a VOIP provider (cancelling your BT account) to keep it at the same time you get FTTP (though not before - timing is everything).

Brian

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@bmc sorry didn't realise it was only on the New Customer sign up page so @bfaichney my apologies.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bfaichney

Many thanks @SpendLessTime and @bmc for your feedback. Yes, I had noticed that if I kidded on that I was a potential new customer I was asked about an existing phone line, but that option didn't seem to be there if doing an upgrade. I don't particularly want two routers - that option just seems daft, and probably more expensive, simply to remain with PlusNet for FTTP. So, regrettably, it looks like my best option would be move my Broadband to BT, taking a combined Broadband & phone package for FTTP with digital voice.

I realise that I'll lose my PlusNet email into the bargain, but that's not too big a deal. I have a domain name hosted with PlusNet so could move that to GoDaddy then use it with my Microsoft 365 subscription, moving existing emails there. I might more miss the bundled webspace with PHP & MySQL which has been useful on occasion, though only now supported for legacy customers.

Disappointing though, having been a PlusNet member all these years, and having had nothing but great service. Sad that they're potentially going to lose other customers like me just for not providing a digital voice solution. Especially crazy when their FTTP router has a phone socket built in!

Cheers,

Brian.

bmc
Hero

@bfaichney 

To be clear, I believe you can retain your number and go with PN FTTP purely because you're on a legacy product where the phone line is with another provider. You would need to move your number to a VOIP provider. However, you'll not be able to do it online. You need staff help.

Hopefully a wizard named @Gandalf will pick up on this and advise what's needed.

If you go with BT speak to PN first as they (probably) will waive early termination fees.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Fix

Hi @bfaichney 

To confirm if you upgrade your FTTC to FTTP with us, the copper line will cease whether that's with Plusnet or another provider. Appreciate you've been with us a long time and wouldn't want to see you go, so this may help: https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Can-I-port-my-phone-number-to-a-VOIP-provider-when-upg...

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@bfaichney 

I think I've been confusing things with people who were on the PN FTTP Trial - they could move their phone number as it wasn't a new install.

You have a choice - new customer with PN where you port your current BT phone service to a VOIP provider and lose all add ons or move ISP.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Especially crazy when their FTTP router has a phone socket built in!

but having the ability to connect a phone is just the tip of the iceberg! The infrastructure (and support) to provide a voip service is the main cost. It's perceived, rightly or wrongly, that the vast majority of people wanting FTTP are not interested in a phone service and therefore it's not cost effective to provide one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

There is a country mile difference between providing a voice service, be that VoIP or digital voice and providing the means to gracefully retain the phone number to be used with a voice provider of one's choice ... or indeed a trusted VoIP partner determined by Plusnet.

The core issue here is about choice - the option for the USER to retain the telephone NUMBER to be used with whoever, if that is what they want to do.  If a user has no use for a landline, that's fine.  If Plusnet do not want to provide a voice service, that's fine too.  However, to run a business practice which interferes with a service provided by a third party or "disconnects" a user from a number they wish to retain is not fine.

I cannot imagine that Plusnet's business practices which cause a third-party supplier's service to be unilaterally terminated (especially when supplied by "big brother" BT Retail) is going to enhance their reputation in the industry.  I have raised that reflection elsewhere.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I'm in the same boat, the place I am moving to doesn't have Branson Media .. yeah I know the people in charge of this country and the Monolopies and Mergers commision must have had some very long lunches when they allowed Richard to control the entire country's FTTP network.

So basically, is it not possible to change from FTTC to FTTP without losing your landline number?

The answer seems No, otherwise I'd upgrade with PlusNet like a shot.
bfaichney

Thanks again @Gandalf . So, to be clear, if I sign-up for a second Plusnet account for FTTP online, selecting the "I want to keep my existing phone line" option, I presume I'll still lose my included webspace, domain hosting, contents of email in-box etc & any discounts as these will all be associated with the FTTC account which will end when I port my number to a VOIP provider once the new FTTP account is live? I'm out of contract on the FTTC account, just on a month-by-month basis now so there's no cancellation charges to worry about.

Also, is Full Fibre 300Mbps only available to existing customers as an upgrade? If I start an order for a new account I'm only offered 74Mbps, 145Mbps and 500Mbps. But choosing the upgrade option offers those speeds plus 300Mbps (which would be sufficient for me) and 900Mbps?

Regards,

Brian.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Hi Brian,

Yeah that’s all correct. If you sign up on the 145mbps offer you can always upgrade to 300mbps afterwards once your FTTP account is up and running. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
madgav
Grafter

@Townman wrote:

There is a country mile difference between providing a voice service, be that VoIP or digital voice and providing the means to gracefully retain the phone number to be used with a voice provider of one's choice ... or indeed a trusted VoIP partner determined by Plusnet.

The core issue here is about choice - the option for the USER to retain the telephone NUMBER to be used with whoever, if that is what they want to do.  If a user has no use for a landline, that's fine.  If Plusnet do not want to provide a voice service, that's fine too.  However, to run a business practice which interferes with a service provided by a third party or "disconnects" a user from a number they wish to retain is not fine.

I cannot imagine that Plusnet's business practices which cause a third-party supplier's service to be unilaterally terminated (especially when supplied by "big brother" BT Retail) is going to enhance their reputation in the industry.  I have raised that reflection elsewhere.

@Townman Couldn't agree more (as a near-20-year PN customer currently stuck on FTTC due to having to lose either landline number or email+webspace+IP+referrals depending on FTTP 'upgrade' route).

Sparkrace22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Have been with Plusnet a number of years, even though had a few issues with my broadband 

Decided to upgrade to FTTP as recently put in our area, Have been on chat with Plusnet at various times, and been told will loose my landline, and is that ok?

I mentioned the VOIP service but told that not available, even though I believed the socket is on their router..

Plusnet never mentioned about being able to transfer to BT as I am in contract with Plusnet for broadband & phone (another year)

I rang options team, and decided to upgrade to FTTP, guy said I will loose landline, and we don't do VOIP- whatever that is

As we have mobiles, thought, would just use them

My FTTP was activated Friday 18/11, to my surprise my landline is still active!! Not that I used it, as it mentions costs

Today I log into my broadband account, its showing my FTTP 300mbps service, then a list of options available to include

Edit Broadband package

Change Call Features, ie standard call features, 2 for £3------ No idea what this is all about

Change Add Ons-- Norton etc

so to me it is possible to have a landline, unless Plusnet have not pulled the plug yet. 

Just wondered if I will end up being billed for the landline?