Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC and keep the existing number too

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

FTTC and keep the existing number too

Reading the other thread regarding this, I have a similar question. I have started my own thread rather than cotton on to the existing thread as my question is slightly different but similar. So I hope I don't get told off

I am moving back to where I used to live. Round there you can't get cable. The monopolies and mergers comission must have had some very long lunches with Richard down the pub when they allowed Branson Media to be the only company in control of this wonderful country's entire cable network. Anyway enough of that I suppose.

So it seems FTTP is in the street now as I have noticed the street works and the BT Reacharound sockets have appeared outside each property. So I have a few questions:

I can only assume that is FTTP then, no Branson Media there so finally we have full fibre there? What else could a BT Reacharound outside each property be?

Losing the landline number for us is not an option. You'd think the government would have sorted out this 3rd world country's infrastructure to account for this .. but we can't even hold onto a prime minister for 5 minutes at the moment so little chance of that happening I suppose. Anyway.

The only convulated way I see is:

Getting a second landline to the same property, Setting up FTTP on that, happy to keep PlusNet as my ISP so that is no problem.

Once that is done, then cancel the broadband off the existing landline. This becomes landline only keeping the existing number.

The new landline with the different number is the one carrying the FTTP.

So we would have two landlines at the same property. Existing one active with the old number with no broadband at all. Landline 2 new number with the FTTP?

So we would be paying for two landlines at that property. I understand that. So we would have two master sockets then?

Have I got that riight? (knowing me I probably haven't).

If so seems a rather odd way of doing things, but I have given up with this country, politicans and logic now. Oh well.
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: FTTC and keep the existing number too

Have I got that riight? (knowing me I probably haven't).

Correct, you havent😀

FTTP  does not have an associated landline, number.  You can order a new FTTP connection whilst retaining your existing FTTC  and landline. What you can't do, is then cancel just the FTTC leaving the landline.. Plusnet dont do phone only products. You would need to port the number to a voip supplier, which would automatically cease the FTTC and landline.

However you would lose any Plusnet email and referrals associated with the FTTC account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran

Ah thanks @MisterW I think I see (maybe a bit better!). Just order a new FTTP install (under a 2 year contract sadly 🙄), I will then just cancel the FTTC off the landline when the time is right and everything is fine?

Current landline rental is with BT and the BB is with PlusNet on that line. So can I not just set up a new FTTP account with PlusNet and cancel the BB off the old landline, keeping the current BT landline account with BT it just becoming a landline only? Old number not affected?

I effectively become a new PlusNet customer, although I am not 🙂

I don't use PlusNet for e-mail (i use my own domains with my MX records pointing to MS Exchange hosting for that). I am not under PlusNet contract now, and I can live with a change of a PlusNet account (I mean a new one with a different username et al).

I just want FTTP with PlusNet with no risk to the existing landline number really. I will probably keep the two internet connections there for as long as I can with my mobile 5G as backup which is unlimited too.

I can be a proper IT Geek with 3 internet connections. One FTTC at the property, the FTTP at the same property and my 5G. Well you can never have too many connections I suppose 😛
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Ah! Didn't realise the landline was with BT.

Yes, what you're proposing should work.

You still might want to think about  moving the landline to voip at some point, purely on cost!

A voip account with A & A will cost £1.20/month and calls around 1p/min. Even if you have to buy an ATA to connect the existing phone, then I would guess after 3 months you're saving money.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks @MisterW I will look into that.

My old company (I am sure) used some awful VOIP service. I only know as it used an Ethernet connection, as I had to disconnect and reconnect the phone near enough every yoctosecond for it to work.

The phone would then (eventually) get an IP address, and if you were lucky that it did the sound quality was rather akin to that scene from Wayne's World 2 where Wayne tried to order his takeaway. 🙄
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@Alex 

You said the landline is with BT and the broadband (VDSL/FTTC) with Plusnet (at the location you want fibre service at) and the priority is retaining the landline number there.

Ordering a new and seperate Fibre To The Premises (FTTP) connection seems to be the safest approach.

Personally, I might be inclined to let the FTTC run for the time being and let the new FTTP service be installed (which may take a little while).   

Slightly seperately, I wonder what Openreach will do on the FTTC cease (assuming you cease the FTTC). The logical thing would be just to take the VDSL equipment out of circuit but they may want to leave it there for a future Digital Voice service. 

I've a feeling that any change to the FTTC provider will mean that it to keep the landline it will need to be a provider that does both FTTC and voice and that may also trigger a move to Digital Voice (or similar).

Finally, in this instance, I'm not sure Mr Branson is entirely to blame for the cable service provider coverage.

By and large the coverage was set many years ago when cable TV "franchises" were issued. Over the years the companies merged and eventually became one and (as I understand it) licenced the "Virgin" brand.

While I think he gets a bob or two from each subscriber it isn't really his company.  

I am the satisfied customer....