cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 Trial

ghof51

80/20 Trial

Hi,
I've just installed and set-up my new Technicolor Router as part of the 80/20 trail. I have the following observations and want to make sure that I haven't done anything wrong as the connection is intermittent and of a slower speed than my previous Netgear router.
1. The Broadband and Internet green lights flash, but are then steady for a few minutes before flashing again. I was expecting the Broadband and Internet green lights to remain steady and only the Ethernet green light to flash during data transfer.  Is this normal ?
2. Using my old router I checked the speed, then installed the new Technicolor router and I went from averaging 47Mbps down to 44Mbps (I was expecting it to be the same or slightly better).
3. On my 'old' deal of up to 40Mbps I was getting an average of 36 to 37 Mbps download.  Using my new 80/20 deal the speed was around 47 Mbps using the old router and 44Mbps using the new one. I must admit I was expecting a bit more, or am I being too optimistic here and is 47Mbps a typical speed that I would be expecting ? I know I have 88Mbps at my cabinet as the BT engineer measured it before he connected me up for the first trail I did on the up to 40Mbps service .  Obviously thsi doesn't take into account the loss from the copper to my house.
4. The output from the new Technicolor Router is about 20 dB lower than my old netgear router and therefore suffers a bit with range.  Is there a setting that can increase output ?
I know this is all part of the trial and testing of the new routers so I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing anything wrong.
Any advice would be very appreciated.  Smiley
4 REPLIES 4
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: 80/20 Trial

Stupid question - are these test results wired or wireless? Point 4 suggests they might be wireless in which case the results you mention in point 3 are pretty meaningless, especially when compared to "88Mbps at my cabinet."
ghof51

Thanks for the reply.
The download  tests I mentioned are all wired, although my laptop gives very similar results using the wireless connection.  The reason for the comment about the output is that my laptop (which is upstairs) is now only 2 bars in strength.  It was a full 5 bars with the old router, hence the comment on the lower output.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ghof51,
The light's will flash when there's data transfer. There's nothing that can be done to increase the output. If you put the Netgear back on do you notice an increase in speed?
Jojo Smiley
ghof51

Hi Jojo,
Thanks for clearing up my question about the router lights  :).
I did try putting the old Netgear router back last weekend (hence the line was up and down a few times).  The old Netgear router averaged around 47 Mbps download and 14 Mbps upload (based on 5 speed tests) .  The new Technicolor Router averaged 43 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload (again based on 5 speed tests), so the old Netgear router gave a faster service.  I realise I'm part of the trial so I'll keep the new router but I might switch abck to the old Netgear router when the trial has finished, as the Netgear router was faster and gave a far better Wi-Fi signal around the house (around 20dB higher than the new router).  The only thing that might change my mind is that he new router is IPv6 compliant so it will be handy when the IPv4 address pool fianlly depletes.
Thanks again  Smiley