Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC Trial Closed

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: 80/20 FTTC Trial Open

Exactly as 'Bazza' says, mine also started at a higher rate then reduced somewhat with an increase in ping times.  I have seen many people observing similar behaviour on this and other forums so it does seem pretty common for DLM to do this (possibly as more lines from the cabinet become active and crosstalk starts to have an effect, though most seem to get a single 'step-change' (often around 10Mb/s drop) after a few weeks of service then it remais pretty stable from that point - there will be line retrains and small changes in sync but most things seem to remain much the same after this point).
My modem/router clearly shows delay 7ms (was 0ms), INP 3 (was 0), bitswapping on (can't remember if this was previously on or off) on the downstream.  SNR margin remains fairly constant at 6dB (as before) so the stabilising measures that DLM applies do seem to have a significant effect on speed.
Having said that, the speed is way more than adequate and stability is excellent.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
millsdon
Grafter

same here. just checking the quality of my connection (pfsense graphs) and i've had 0% packet loss in the last week which is extraordinary. it's very stable with average 22.39ms pings
paulpicks21
Grafter

How is this for consistency, speed tests done over the last 45 days!
w23
Pro

@paulpicks21,  That has to be 'as good as it gets'  Smiley
Do Openreach pay you any ground rent as I can only assume the cabinet is in your garden  Grin
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
grahamt
Rising Star

I've not posted for a while, so here's an update.
I went on holiday for a week, and switched off my router and modem, just to see what the effect would be.
When I switched on again (around 9am, June 22nd) I found that my BT IP profile had gone down a bit, from 65.23 to 62.69. OK, I thought. Not much difference. But my throughput has fallen a lot further. Before I switched the equipment off I was getting around 62.70 downstream on speedtest.net. Now I'm getting around 53.70. My ping times, though (also on speedtest.net), have halved, from 18/19 to 8/9, which is what they were when I first went on the 80/20 trial (at one stage they went up to 38/9, then came back down to 18/19)
On the BT beta speed test, the drop appears to be even more dramatic, from 62.80 to 49.60. However, on this tester, my ping time have stayed about the same, dropping from around 22 to around 20.
Shall I just leave the DLM to take care of things, or do you think it would be worth disconnecting/reconnecting the router, and maybe even power-cycling the modem?
Graham
fagin
Grafter

Some weird stuff going on with my connection now:
I haven't done any speed tests for over a month, but the line was normally around 65Mb/16Mb using speedtest.net. 
I completed some tests over the weekend and the download speed had been dramtically reduced, ranging from anywhere between 20Mb to 40Mb.  Uploads remained the same at 16Mb.  Ping is unchanged.
I double checked the sync speed on my router and that has remained stable at over 68k.
I have completed two reboots of my modem and routers.  Sync speed has remained the same, so has the slow dl speeds.
I have tried to run btspeedtester this morning (to double check my profile), but it times out saying the service is busy - try again later.
Something is obviously amiss.
Is it worth raising a support ticket or should I at least wait until I get an up to date BT Profile?
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: grahamt
Shall I just leave the DLM to take care of things, or do you think it would be worth disconnecting/reconnecting the router, and maybe even power-cycling the modem?

I'd be inclined to leave it. Rebooting the router is relatively harmless but will do nothing except change your IP profile, if it currently doesn't match your sync speed. As for the modem, maybe try it once, but it's probably 50/50 whether it goes up a bit or down a bit. My sync speed (65443/20000) has now not changed for over a month and the connection is rock solid, speed tests always consistent, so although it's not as fast as it was at first, I'm very happy with it.
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: fagin
Is it worth raising a support ticket or should I at least wait until I get an up to date BT Profile?

I don't see much point in waiting - if you've rebooted the router, the IP profile will match the sync speed (96.79% of it), pretty much guaranteed. Have you tried various speed testers to compare results?
fagin
Grafter

Yes... tried BT and Broadbandmax alongside Speedtest.Net testers.
dick:quote
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks, KevinG. I'll leave everything for now and will wait to see what the DLM does, whenever it wants to do it.
Graham
Ash07
Dabbler

Been on FTTC for 2 weeks now and on the 80/20 trial for just under 2 and connection has been rock solid throughout. I'm around 220 meters from cabinet and consistently get 74/18 with 5ms ping using the WNR 1000v3.
BT Speedtester reports:
Downstream IP profile is 77.43 Mbps
Upstream IP profile is 20 Mbps
Are the above IP profiles as high as they can be on 80/20? Anyone else seen higher? Would be interested to see what I am synced at but dont want to mess with CPE fireware.
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: Ash07
Are the above IP profiles as high as they can be on 80/20?

Yes, absolute maximum. You are synced at 79999/20000.
SeanP
Dabbler

Been on the 80/20 trial for a few months now. Using the Zyxel router with wired Gbps to a Windows 7 64-bit maching, and Wifi to other devices.
I'm only seeing a very slight improvement over the 40/10 product I had before (using Netgear routers).
BT Speedtester says:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 38.99 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-41.79 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 41.79 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8.89Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Is that the max I can achieve - or can the IP Profile be retrained higher?
w23
Pro

With FTTC the IP profile is about 97% of your sync speed so it looks like yours, SeanP, is about all your going to get.
You might get more info with an unlocked modem but I'm not allowed to recomend that.
Call me 'w23'
SeanP
Dabbler

@Walker23: Thanks. So the IP profile is about the "top" of what's achievable for me?