Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC Trial Closed

Gerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: 80/20 FTTC Trial Open

And again we are back to abyssmal speeds.
Can someone please explain to me why at 7:30 in the morning it's 75Mb but at 9:30 in the evening it's 2.5Mb.
Gerry.
beardybuck
Grafter

Quote from: Gerry
And again we are back to abyssmal speeds.
Can someone please explain to me why at 7:30 in the morning it's 75Mb but at 9:30 in the evening it's 2.5Mb.
Gerry.

I hear you, although I'm also not getting anywhere near the speeds I think I should be getting in the mornings
My ticket is ongoing, but this evening was particularly bad, nearly unusable.

Gerry
Rising Star

I've just switched my modem and router back on after leaving them off for 20 mins and everything is back to normal.
Don't get me wrong, I know it's a trial, but if they are tinkering with things, I wish they'd let us know. I really don't want to be doing this every night, but if I have to then please tell me.
Here's hoping it stays put for now.
Gerry.
coachdriver
Grafter

Well it's been appalling tonight,
Had planned to watch Mad Men on the AppleTV so went to download it and it said it was going to take between 3 - 8 hours before I could start to watch it !
Left it about 45 minutes and hardly any was downloaded.
Speed test with the BT requested one get a maximum of 20mbps but I really seeing a lot worse than that - - less than 5mbps.
Rebooted modem and not much better.
Watched a movie I had recorded on the PVR instead.
So much for "super fast Speeds day or night" etc. etc.
Gareth6
Grafter

I'm not sure if this is related but my connection died at 12pm dead last night, hasn't connected since (i light is amber). Tried with the modem  plugged into the pc directly and the CHAP authentication kept failing. There is a ticket open, just following the directions of the voicemail 'turn the router off for 65mins! Then phone back'. Huh
Bazza
Grafter

I have been away for a few days. I noticed today that my throughput was crawling, slower than when on DSL. I went to the BT Speedtest site and ran the beta speeds test as advised by Adam . It tested at 23.5Mbps.
I then ran test3 as directed and it failed both times  Angry
I have updates my ticket #53237078
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: ffox
What do you think of the packet loss I'm getting in the evening?

Had something similar (worse, if anything) last night, dropped and reconnected PPP session to change gateways and the dropped packets seemed to stop:

The two large red spikes arouind 11:30PM & 12AM was me reconnecting (first attempt still gave very poor speedtest).
A speedtest at the time of the packet loss was really bad (about 5Mb down), after reconnecting it was pretty much back to my normal 55Mb.
Pings (to bbc.co.uk) before and after were about my 'normal' 14ms (my FTTC is interleaved, previously it managed as low as 8ms).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
SpecialD
Rising Star

Quote from: Gareth6
I'm not sure if this is related but my connection died at 12pm dead last night, hasn't connected since (i light is amber). Tried with the modem  plugged into the pc directly and the CHAP authentication kept failing. There is a ticket open, just following the directions of the voicemail 'turn the router off for 65mins! Then phone back'. Huh

Hi Gareth(6)  Wink  This sounds very similar to what happened to me. Went down at 00:04 ish last Wednesday and hasn't been back since (bar 4 hrs on Saturday when the BT engineer was here) - It was a fault (originally) with what happened when they changed my profile to the 80/20.
I also get 'authentication failed' when I connect to the modem directly. I'm sitting here staqring at the orange light on the router wondering if it'll ever be blue again.... It'll be a week tomorrow and frankly my patience has pretty much run out. It's lucky for <provider> that I have an alternate method (albeit an expensive method) of getting some form of internet.
Hopefully you'll have better luck!  Undecided
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

[quote=http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1332846515.htm]Peak time speed/performance problems :: Faraday (70844) - NEW
Broadband
Posted on: Tuesday 27 March 2012, 12:08
Since Sunday afternoon we have seen an unusual increase in the number of broadband customers reporting slower than expected speeds and performance problems during the evening. This is particularly noticeable by customers using our Fibre services.
Further investigation suggests that those experiencing problems are being routed via a particular site that we use for broadband provision (Faraday).
We have been in contact with our suppliers who have acknowledged the existence of a problem and assigned us a case reference.
If you think you are affected by this problem then you may be able to restore normal service by disconnecting and reconnecting. Whilst it's not guaranteed, this may result in your traffic being routed via an alternative site that is not subject to these speed issues.
We are awaiting further updates from our supplier and will post further details as soon as we have them.
Apologies for the inconvenience.
Kind regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gerry
Rising Star

That'll be why then.
Just closed my ticket now that they know about it.
AlanT
Dabbler

"Since Sunday afternoon we have seen an unusual increase in the number of broadband customers reporting slower than expected speeds and performance problems during the evening. This is particularly noticeable by customers using our Fibre services.
Further investigation suggests that those experiencing problems are being routed via a particular site that we use for broadband provision (Faraday)."

Following this Status Update, I've disconnected/reconnected, so let's await what happens to download speed this evening.  Indications are positive though: even my Vista PC just reported over 75Mbps  Smiley
Gareth6
Grafter

Quote from: Spesh

Hi Gareth(6)  Wink  This sounds very similar to what happened to me. Went down at 00:04 ish last Wednesday and hasn't been back since (bar 4 hrs on Saturday when the BT engineer was here) - It was a fault (originally) with what happened when they changed my profile to the 80/20.
I also get 'authentication failed' when I connect to the modem directly. I'm sitting here staqring at the orange light on the router wondering if it'll ever be blue again.... It'll be a week tomorrow and frankly my patience has pretty much run out. It's lucky for <provider> that I have an alternate method (albeit an expensive method) of getting some form of internet.
Hopefully you'll have better luck!  Undecided

Still down a week later? Damn  Shocked
That does sound very, very similar to what I'm experiencing. I did mention this trial in the support ticket. Have you tried reverting to the old profile?
I did have a similar issue with ppp/chaps a few weeks ago with my old ADSL provider, plusnet is checking if any work took place in my exchange last night.
Openreach is starting to look allot like the trains/ railtrack, really expensive to run (compared to elsewhere in Europe) and doesn't work all that well.
Timalay
Grafter

This may have been asked already on here, so if it has I apologise.  But when Plusnet move to offering 80Mbps/20Mbps speeds (as a service and not a trial). Will just be a simple upgrade from 40Mbps or will plusnet offer them as two separate packages?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

[quote=http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1332846515.htm]Peak time speed/performance problems :: Faraday (70844) - NEW
Further investigation suggests that those experiencing problems are being routed via a particular site that we use for broadband provision (Faraday).
<snip>
If you think you are affected by this problem then you may be able to restore normal service by disconnecting and reconnecting. Whilst it's not guaranteed, this may result in your traffic being routed via an alternative site that is not subject to these speed issues.

Is Faraday associated with particular gateways? I was wondering if using the gateway checker would enable people to determine if they had managed to hit an alternative?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Timalay
This may have been asked already on here, so if it has I apologise.  But when Plusnet move to offering 80Mbps/20Mbps speeds (as a service and not a trial). Will just be a simple upgrade from 40Mbps or will plusnet offer them as two separate packages?

There will be an additional cost for the 80/20 service, so I'm sure they will be separate packages, probably with the option to switch between them on a monthly basis.