cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC Trial Closed

devil5882
Grafter

Re: 80/20 FTTC Trial Open

my trial started today ive seen a huge improvment in upload but download hasnt changed much infact at times its been worse.
Gerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Been on the trial for several weeks now.
Was getting 74/75 down and 16/17 up.  Smiley
Just upgraded to fibre extra (due to all the speedtests I've been running), guess what? Downloads now 36 consistantly. Cry
Guess I'm back to 40 now although BT tester shows profile of 77.3 as usual.
Will open a ticket, but if Adam is around, can you check this for me please.
Gerry.
ngins
Dabbler

@Spesh  @Gerry - Interesting to see your feedback - I am still having similar issues and I am continuing to work through it for the moment.  PN made some changes and I am at least now getting more consistent speeds but the downloads are still slower on 80/20 than on 40/10, uploads slightly quicker.  Did you have Fibre extra and any add-ons?, wondering if they are causing any issues given the comment from Gerry above.  I have both FibreExtra and Pro add-on in my usual package.
Cheers
N
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Gerry
What does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate say for your current line speed?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gerry
Rising Star

Estimated line speed:2.5Mb (This may vary between 1.5Mb and 5Mb) - Checked on 2012-05-12 01:33:52
Current line speed: 37 Mb
That'll be why then, I guess.
Smacks of left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
I've opened a ticket, hope someone who is watching the trial picks up on it.
Thanks for the heads-up, Jelv.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That needs to be set to 20 which is a special value meaning unlimited. I'd suggest you try ringing them up.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gerry
Rising Star

On the phone now, 20 mins wait.
Guy on the phone tried his best and to be fair was very good but he didn't have the permissins to change it.
Long and short, upgrading to fibre extra means they assume you are standard 40 so your profile reverts back.
Said the profile should be changed in the next hour or so, we'll see.
Gerry.
Gerry
Rising Star

...And 5 hours later, no change.
Glad the phone call was free.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: jelv
That needs to be set to 20 which is a special value meaning unlimited. I'd suggest you try ringing them up.

We were told, a couple of months ago that 37 had been "fixed" and now behaved the same way as 20, but there does seem sometimes to be evidence to the contrary - it would be nice to get some confirmation from someone high enough on the technical side so that time is not wasted changing 37s to 20s; it would also be nice to get an unlimited profile that obviously meant unlimited (100, 999, whatever) or something that bore some relation to the 80/20 trial, e.g. 77.
Bazza
Grafter

Three times this morning I've been presented with he BT wholesale page (approx 04:00, 07:00 and 07:25). I've updated my ticket accordingly.
ngins
Dabbler

Hi All,  well finally I am now getting above 40Mb down consistently on my 80/20 package which is an overall improvement ,waiting to see is PN changed anything, but I *think* that the culpret is the Openreach supplied patch cable from the Huawei Modem to my Router.  In all the router swaps and fault finding the one thing that remaind the same was the cables.  I have now swapped out everything with Cat6 and it may be coincidence but certainly the speeds now seem to be sorted.  I'll swap the other one back in sometime to confirm!  Will be ironic if the issue of all my woes is the cable that came with the openreach modem.
millsdon
Grafter

The cable with the openreach modem is not a great cable. Whether it would make any difference over the short space would be interesting to see as I would imagine the most it would suffer from would be xtalk rather than any attenuation issues etc
That being said, the minute I looked at it I swapped it out with a spare RJ11 cisco cable so as not to take any chances.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

ngins was apparently talking about the cable from the router to the modem, not the cable from the modem to the faceplate. I wasn't aware that Openreach even supplied this, normally they come with the router, not the modem.
millsdon
Grafter

Not in my case. BT turned up with the modem and changed the DP faceplate. Plusnet supplied the router (bog standard with an RJ45 for the wan) by post seperately.
My router from Plusnet arrived a couple of days before the engineer turned up. The engineer was a bit dubious with my setup as I instructed him to plug the modem directly into a managed switch which he didn't believe would work.
He insisted on having the Plusnet router ready to go as he didn't want to waste time. Just as well he didn't take my £10 bet as the Plusnet router is still in it's shrink wrap!
dick:quote
Gerry
Rising Star

Quote from: Gerry
...And 5 hours later, no change.

And still at 36 down. What next, another phone call?
Why is it so difficult to get them to do anything?