cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting less than minimum speed

ytfc

getting less than minimum speed

I got plusnet installed 4 days ago on the first day i got speeds of 46-52 when my line speed is 55 which i thought "good".Second day the same in speeds.Third day I was getting 36 to 48 but today it has been at 10 to 26 average.I restarted the rooter and got 44 but then minutes later it went back down to 20.For some reason it is only happening to the ethernet devices and not wireless devices.Also my upload speed went from 17-18 to 5.

15 REPLIES 15
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: getting less than minimum speed

@ytfc  Welcome to the forum.

What you say outwardly makes no sense. Ethernet speeds should always be the higher of the two unless you have issues with your wiring of a faulty hub. It sounds like you need to try a different hub and/or Ethernet cables. Also have you tried all the LAN sockets in case it’s just one port?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @ytfc, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've been seeing speed issues as of recent. I can confirm when checking this side we're currently seeing 77.4Mbps download and 20Mbps upload getting to the router with no signs of errors or underlying issues.
One thing I'd suggest then if you're not already is making sure that there's no other devices or applications using the connection at the time when you're doing wired speed tests as the connection being in use especially with more demanding things like downloads will skew the speed results seen.
Other than this and as @Baldrick1 has mentioned, the other things that could be behind wired speed issues could be the Ethernet cable, port in the router or device you're using. I;d recommend then if possible running a wired speed test on a separate device with a different Ethernet cable should issues look to persist and see how this compares.

Let us know how it goes.

ytfc

For some reason today it randomly fixed itself. So i get around 46 download now which is good but one speed test got 30 but its better so i don't mind as much.

ytfc

It randomly fixed itself so now i get around 46 download and oddly one speed test at 30.But its what i expect so im fine with that.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@ytfc  It doesn't sound fixed to me, you should be getting download speeds of around 70 Mbps or more 🙄

ytfc

im getting speeds of 16 download nice.on fibre extra package which my line speed is 55 mbps.

ytfc

im now getting 8 download

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@ytfc 

So which of these suggestins have you tried? https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/getting-less-than-minimum-speed/m-p/1836210#M128420

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for keeping us up to date with your speeds @ytfc

It's important to acknowledge hat yiour speeds will fluctuate within the first 10 working days of an active service. Yours only went live on Tuesday - 02/11/2021. Testing the line this afternoon has picked up speeds of around 57Mbps. When you signed up, we told you that you can expect speeds between 48 - 60Mbps (wired).

I can see a few drops on the line, though the number of drops don't pass the threshold in order to have a fault raised just yet. I'd advise that you monitor your connection for the next two weeks or so to see if it stabilises, and reach out if you continue to have issues.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 57.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 19.7 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 439.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From22:30to22:45
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 0
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-11-02T22:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 57.1 Mbps 57.3 Mbps 57.2 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.4 Mbps 19.7 Mbps 19.6 Mbps
Up Time 696.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.3 Sec
Radius
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
ytfc

so ive noticed something in the morning and half way through the evening its good at around 40+ but at night for some reason it goes down to 10-20 but i have no clue why

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to me. Tests on our side aren't showing any drops in speed throughout the day. Are you using more wireless devices in the evening? Also, it might be worth changing the WIFI channels on your router, interference from neighbouring properties can also have an impact on your wireless speed. Another thing to try, while you're getting low speeds is a wired speed test.

Let us know how you get on with those suggestions and feel free to reach out if you have any further issues.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
ytfc

No it seems that it doesn't matter if there is more devices at one time or not.Also, today it has stayed at 40+ so it looks better today.I will experiment with channel changing and see how that is. 

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @ytfc, thanks for getting back to us and I'm glad to hear the connection is looking better as of recent. Should you see issues return moving forwards then please let us know and we'll happily look into this further for you.

ytfc

Just now i was getting around 3 so i turned off my ethernet box to my pc and turned it back on and now getting around 35+.