cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi speeds have dropped massively last few days!

JayHarrison83
Hooked

Wifi speeds have dropped massively last few days!

Using a 5ghz channel and I have recenlty over the last month or so been getting average speeds of about 50-70mbps with multiple devices on at the same time and its been great

However the last 3 days its dropping out loads and now getting on average anywhere between 2-20mbps. I was getting about 0.05mbps earlier today at one point and thought it was 2001 again!

Is this due to high demand with everyone being at home or has my internet got a fault again?

Seems nothing is ever stable for very long with plusnet

3 REPLIES 3
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Wifi speeds have dropped massively last few days!

Are you seeing the same poor speeds using a wired connection?

If this is a Hub One, have you given the 2 wireless frequencies different IDs?

JayHarrison83
Hooked

Well im currently having to use a powerline adapter for work in my office as my work PC wont work with wireless.

On the powerline adapter yesterday I was getting about 20mbps but today its back up to 70mbps - which is odd.

I tried wireless again on my home pc first thing though and that was still only hitting 10mbps though 😕

At a loss as to whats causing these large speed drops. Will try direct ethernet tonight on laptop but its the wireless i really need as the office is upstairs. Just not sure why I would get 70mbps on 5ghz for a few months and now its barely hitting 15-20 if lucky

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

There is some help on the Plusnet website on how to try to improve wifi.

Other than that you could try giving each frequency a different ID. Whether that will help, in your situation, is more than I can say. It seems an odd thing to do - and why you just started having problems is another question - but it is one of the steps that have been known to help with wifi problems. I'm assuming that  this a Hub One - with a blue light on the front? How to give each signal a different ID is at https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...

Please let us know how you get on.