cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When congestion is given as a reason for speed drops, how much is acceptable?

DocDelete
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: When congestion is given as a reason for speed drops, how much is acceptable?

@jelv For £200 pa I can tell the rest of the household to do one Wink

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: When congestion is given as a reason for speed drops, how much is acceptable?

@DocDelete wrote:
Surely there's a way for the line throughput to be interrogated from the other end too?

Yes there is! https://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-cqm.html

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

@DocDelete Whilst I do appreciate the frustration, should initial checks on the VLAN not find any issues, our suppliers really do need to see the BTW speedtester fail when you complete the further diagnostics as it helps their investigations.

Keep me posted please.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DocDelete
Rising Star

Hi @Gandalf just done the test, and the further best effort test using BT's own connection.

I struck when I noted throughput drop below 10Mbps. It's now sitting at 4Mbps.

During part 1 of the BTw test it was around 8Mbps, and during part 2 it actually dropped too low to read 0Mbps!!

We should note that BTw place a low threshold of acceptability at 20Mbps - if only.

Screengrabs...

Screenshot 2018-01-11 20.21.26.pngScreenshot 2018-01-11 20.25.28.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for doing that @DocDelete

Was the second part of the test run with the username in your router changed to speedtest@speedtest_domain?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DocDelete
Rising Star

@Gandalf yes (I've done this test sequence a few times in the last year)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for confirming. I'd like to take this result to our suppliers.

Don't run the further diagnostics again please as it'll override the previous result.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DocDelete
Rising Star

@Gandalf Thanks, and don't worry - hands off!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesomeo and just to confirm something else you're using a wired connection right?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DocDelete
Rising Star

@Gandalf all tests I've ever displayed here are from my laptop directly jacked into the router via ethernet cable.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm about to speak to QA.

I'll post back when I've finished.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Our suppliers are investigating and we should know more by Monday.

Our faults team will follow up when we've got more info.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DocDelete
Rising Star

@Gandalf i have more info. Saturday night saw throughput drop to 1.5Mbps. Tonight (Sunday) it is currently around 0.5Mbps!!!!

Ping is coming up at around 450ms, with plenty of dropped packets. I first noticed this when I couldn't even get browser pages to properly complete CSS formatting. YouTube? Forget it.

Unbelievable and unacceptable. 

I'm going to disconnect and reconnect the router in the vain hope that it'll tell the service that I'm still alive.

The next step will be to request that Plusnet refund me in some way for a poor service. Then wait until my line rental saver expires and move to Virgin.

DocDelete
Rising Star

Graphic version of poor speeds. You can clearly see last night's prolongued 'bumping along the bottom' and today the throughput started dropping off at an unbelievable 6am!!!

Today, much rests on the noises made by Plusnet in regard to this situation.

JDAST_Graph_2018_01_15_10_03_33.png

DocDelete
Rising Star

Latest graphic. I'm posting this because I simply can't believe how poor and repetitive this service is. It's worse than when a hot VLAN was (eventually) diagnosed last time, so few weeks ago.

@Gandalf I believe under the circumstances that Plusnet owes me some proper communication. Please instigate a full problem ticket from your end. I want you to do this because I absolutely need to avoid covering old ground again and again. The new ticket needs to start from this point, and pick up a solution from BTw. When will you do this?

JDAST_Graph_2018_01_15_21_59_47.png