cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI speed drops really badly when upstairs.

rbellamy420
Grafter

WIFI speed drops really badly when upstairs.

My wifi speed is a lot less than it should be its supposed to be around 37mb download but when I'm upstairs I rarely get 7mb. It never used to be this bad until a few weeks ago and I assumed it was my phone but I've just got a new one and it's still really bad. I can't do anything using the wifi and I don't understand why its suddenly become this bad. I haven't moved or changed anything to do with the router.
6 REPLIES 6
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: WIFI speed drops really badly when upstairs.

It's possible, but not likely, that illuminated Christmas decorations can interfere with Wifi.

Have you moved any item of furniture (especially mirrors) which could be absorbing or reflecting the signal en route to upstairs?

Other than that, it's also possible that one or more neighbours have changed their Wifi channel to one which competes with yours - try changing channel on your router (1,6 or 11)

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@rbellamy420 wrote:
My wifi speed is a lot less than it should be its supposed to be around 37mb download

I'm afraid that there's no guaranteed wireless speed. First try separating the wireless bands and try each in turn, See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

If that doesn't help then use a free wifi sniffer app, I use Wifi Analyser on an Android phone. With this you can check which channels your neighbours are using and select the quietest manually in the router advanced wifi settings. Check both at the router location and where you use your wireless devices. You can also see how strong a signal you get at these locations.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

rbellamy420
Grafter

The problems with the wifi started before I put my Christmas decorations up. I have had new neighbours move in recently. How do I check my wifi channel?
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Try the WiFi analyser app, it is available for android & IOS.

If your device supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, to toggle between the bands touch the 2.4G (in a square)/ 5G  at the left near the top.

The analyser will only show other WiFi signals but the WiFi bands are unlicensed so are used by other systems like drones, video senders and baby cameras etc. Not all of these use WiFi protocols and can interfere with WIFI reducing the coverage.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @rbellamy420 

The advice @RichardB is correct. 

I would also suggest looking here for WiFi diagnostic assistance. 

Please let us know how you get on. 

All the best,

MoR

rbellamy420
Grafter

Hi, I tried the advice from others and changed my WiFi channel to 5ghz and it works perfectly now. Only problem, my new phone doesn't work with 5ghz which is typical. Thanks for the help.