cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to fibre extra but speed hasn't changed

timdog72

Upgraded to fibre extra but speed hasn't changed

Hi
I've upgraded to fibre extra and had an email earlier this week to confirm. However, my download and upload speeds remain at about 35 / 10 respectively. Please can you advise how to resolve.
6 REPLIES 6
simonbellbrizzl

Re: Upgraded to fibre extra but speed hasn't changed

Hi Timdog - I have the same issue.  More teens at home meant I took the plunge a couple of days ago and upgraded to Fibre Extra. 2 adults video conferencing and 2 kids home working (i.e., Netflix streaming?!) was taking its toll.  

I received a confirmation email saying upgrade had happened but no increase in speed 36hrs later.   After doing some digging I wonder if it's something called the lines 'IP Profile'.  Running a test (https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) shows that my IP profile is still set to 32.4Mbps, the limit for standard Plusnet Fibre.  I'm no expert but I think this has to be changed to a higher figure.  

Apparently the IP Profile is designed to stop a service provider from sending more data down your phone line than it (or your router) can physically handle.  https://www.plus.net/help/archive/broadband/broadband-terminology-guide/

Apparently it can take up to 10 days from set-up of a new service for the broadband line to train up to its full speed. I'm hoping this will gradually happen over the next few days, but if you can get Plusnet support on the telephone they may be able to sort it quicker. 

Tags (1)
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@simonbellbrizzl  @timdog72 

There are a couple of issues here to consider.

If your maximum unimpacted speed shown on the BTw checker, which you can see if you put your phone number in here is above 40Mbps then Plusnet will update you the 80/20 service. https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker However if the minimum unimpacted speed is below 40 Mbps then it’s unlikely that you will see any significant improvement as the maximum possible speed that your line will support should be between the two limits, but maxing out at around 38Mbps.

There is also confusion over IP profiles. This is how I think it works. There are basically two in play. One limits your speed to the contractual maximum that is 80/20 or 40/10Mbps unless there is a reason to cap it lower to improve your connection. Your line will sync at the highest rate possible up to that limit. At this point a second profile is applied which is designed to keep your maximum data rate below the sync rate. This is the one that the BTw speed tester shows. If your sync rate increases this should automatically follow. Consequently it is not this that is throttling your speed.

My feeling is that Plusnet are upgrading customers to 80/20 on marginal lines without warning that there will be little or no speed improvement 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

simonbellbrizzl

Thanks for your advice Baldrick1,that’s really appreciated  

I’ve checked the line at the BT wholesale link you supplied and it seems the line is capable of data rates of 65-80 (screen grab below) so I hope this means this isn’t the limiting factor.  My limited understanding is that, in my case at least, the IP Profile has been put on as a kind of “brake” by PlusNet as I was on a cheaper / slower service which can be lifted as you describe, so let’s hope that happens in the coming days.

thanks once again for offering your advice.C748CF39-8BE0-4008-B495-EDAB60DC9DD5.jpeg

iAugur

In the same situation and if anything the speed has gone down!
Upgraded to unlimited fibre extra a few days ago with:
    •    Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 59.1Mbps
    •    Current Line Speed (Download): 80Mbps
But current line rates are below 20 and was getting  30 before!

I appreciate the current situation is likely to have an impact on engineer availability.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@simonbellbrizzl 

That's promising. There are now a couple of checks that you can do at your end whilst waiting for a Plusnet staffer to come along. First I assume that you are aware that the speedtest must be done with a wired Ethernet cable between your router and your computer?

It is worth eliminating your internal wiring in case that's slowing your line. To check this remove the front of the BT master socket, you ay have to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plus a filter in here and use this to connect to your router. If you are still getting slow speed then you definitely know that the problem is  external to your property.

The other simple test is to make sure that there is no noise on your telephone line. To check this plug a wired phone in, ring 17070 and select option 2, the quiet line test.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

simonbellbrizzl

Useful info. Many thanks!