Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade speeds.

Loon
Grafter

Upgrade speeds.

Hi,

I have been looking at upgrading my line as other companies are now offering ultra fast broadband in our area. I have looked at BT and Sky and allegedly I can get ultra at my address. When I go to look at my Plusnet account to upgrade it only offers my current package of up to 30Mb.

Why do you not offer the 66Mb package on my line? Do you have plans to go into the 21st century with your broadband speeds in the near future? 

Regards Rob

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

Re: Upgrade speeds.

@Loon Can I suggest you post the result from here: BT Broadband as a screenshot , making sure you don't show your phone number . That will show what you can theoretically get.

John
Loon
Grafter

Plusnet.JPG

jab1
Legend

@Loon The reason you are not offered the 'up to 80Mb/s' option is because you can get FTTP. Unfortunately, PN do not currently offer this service - 'coming sometime soon' - so to get it you would need to change providers.

Looking at your current offering on that screenshot, it appears you are some distance from the VDSL cab, so would only get a low speed anyway.

Maybe others/PN Help Team staff would be able to give you more idea.

John
Loon
Grafter

Thanks for the info. Looking at other providers might now be an option I look into as BT/Plusnet don't seem to care upgrading line like mine.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 422

@Loon 

If you are still in a contract then if you ring the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 they will arrange for you to move to either BT or EE FTTP service without you incurring a cancellation charge.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Loon
Grafter

Thanks for the heads up. I feel a cunning plan coming on Smiley 

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

I have a slightly different on this one @Loon

While @jab1 is correct, in that you can get FTTP at the property, this  wouldn't be the reason why we wouldn't offer customers the choice to upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra (speeds up to 80Mbps).

The reason you don't have the option to upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra is because on the FTTC network, which we supply on, your line can only achieve speeds of up to 30.8Mbps.

Why would we ask customers to pay more for Unlimited Fibre Extra when their line can only achieve speeds up to 30.8Mbps? Which is why on FTTC, you're already on the most suitable package with us (Unlimited Fibre - 40/10).

In regards to coming into the 21st century, I agree in one sense with FTTP (although watch this space), but on FTTC, we can only provide a service based on the infrastructure available around your property.

If you're looking at FTTP, I second @Baldrick1's post Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jab1
Legend

Yep, my original reply was slightly wrong as @Loon is obviously a long way from the VDSL cab, thus making the 80/20 product unviable. I should probably have been clearer in my initial post.

John
Loon
Grafter

Again thanks for the replies. 

Adam I have been a Plusnet customer for many years and to be honest I am happy with the service. I understand the actual infrastructure is out of your hands but unfortunately in today's world if you don't ask you don't get.

I appreciate the watch this space but do you have a rough timeline? Week/month/year would be fine

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

I understand @Loon - the amount of devices / services that rquire an internet connection these days is crazy, compared to a few years ago.

I wish I had some sort of time frame but in all honesty, we don't at the moment. The new Hub Two is FTTP compatible though so with that being out now, I can't imagine it being too long. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds