cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in upload speed

av709
Hooked

Sudden drop in upload speed

Hi, I'm on the Fibre 40/10 package, and my sync speed is normally 40/7.5 - 8.0. A few weeks ago the SNRm on the upstream dropped to ~1dB and shortly afterwards my Plusnet Hub resynced at 40/3.3. It has been this way for the last two weeks and the max attainable still shows 3.3 so I haven't bothered rebooting.

This did happen a couple of months ago where the upload dropped to 2.5Mb and I raised a ticket with Plusnet, but a day or two later the SNRm increased significantly and when I did a resync the upload went back to its usual 8Mb, so I closed the ticket. It shows no sign of sorting itself out this time.

Is there anything I can do and is this something Plusnet would assist me with?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Sudden drop in upload speed

Hi there.

Our tests aren't showing the cause for this, but they match what you're seeing and there definitely does seem to be a problem somewhere as your upload speeds should be around double at least from where they are now.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 3.4 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Not Run - Unable to run
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 778.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-01-05T10:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 3.3 Mbps 3.3 Mbps 3.3 Mbps
Up Time 898.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-01-18T09:50:56Z 2019-01-18T10:05:56Z
Ingress Code Violation 2 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

If you've tried the troubleshooting steps Here, then I'd raise another fault ticket to us at http://faults.plus.net as I think it'd be worth arranging an engineer visit for further investigation of the Openreach network.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mark63
Rising Star

FWIW my FTTC connection that's been fine for 8 years, yesterday morning suddenly also had its upstream sync drop

from 7-8 Mb/s  to 3.3. Downstream has crept up over the years from 33 to 46, that's now back to 40  

Very odd.  Happened at 11am on Feb 25th. I tried a reboot at 9pm on the 25th, but u/s is still stuck at 3.3

Voice circuit is nice and silent on 'quietline'.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Mark63 

Sorry to hear you are recieveing slower speeds than normal. 

Checking your CLI against DSL Checker these speeds still seem to be within your estimates - no fault has been identified on your circuit, which is a good sign.

If you want to see if you can bring these speeds back up then take a look through our troubleshooting guides here

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Mark63
Rising Star

Thanks MoR.

According to my Thinkbroadband BQM 'Pingometer' trace, it happened in an instant, no deterioration visible leading up to it. On the up side it's shaved a couple of milliseconds off my ping time (that's what drew my attention to the trace)

I wasn't even at home. I suspect the BT cabinet was open, and my jelly beans or krone connections have been disturbed.

As you say, within spec, so nothing much that can be done, other that to wait for the dodgy connection to completely fail.

All is fine electrically at my end as far as I can tell

av709
Hooked

Just to update on this thread, my issue is now solved after 4 engineer visits, overhead cable replacement and being "placed on a new fibre circuit". Router is in sync at 38.1/9.8 as shown below:16.03.19.pngIs there any possibility @Gandalf you could run another GEA test? I'd just like to know if DLM has put me back on a 3dB target SNRm on the downstream so I could obtain a full 40Mb sync again that I had before the fault. Though I am probably just being a bit fussy.

Thanks

Mark63
Rising Star

Ah, thanks for that.

I actually got to the bottom of my problem. BT are adding a second FTTC cabinet, and I've been temporarily paralleled up

between the two cabinets. I raised a fault with PlusNet, they arranged for an engineer visit, but the BT engineer phoned me, and explained the problem. I went to have a look at the cabinets (they are 1km away, on a different housing estate to mine). There's a lot of working going on !!

It should all return to normal again very soon.

All that said, my connection has remained super stable throughout, 'ordinary' punters will have detected nothing I suspect