cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in download speed

Kageoni

Sudden drop in download speed

I had been getting a steady max download speed of 62mbps for the last few months but suddenly experienced a lot of latency when streaming a few days ago and my max speed seems to now be stuck at around 52mbps.

Is anyone able to help, please? I do a lot of 4k streaming and was able to do this comfortably at 62mbps+, but with the speed at 52 it's now a bit of a push and I get a lot of freezes :(. I've tried all the usual things, restarting, bt speed test but no faults identified.

Many thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Sudden drop in download speed

Hiya @Kageoni, I am sorry for the issues with your speed and problems this causes.

I can see that there has been a drop in sync speed over the last few days but testing hasn't highlighted the cause of this. 

If not already, it may be worth connecting to your test socket just to rule out any internal causes, you can find help on this here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how you get on!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Kageoni

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the reply and help. I've tested it with the master socket test socket but still received the same speed unfortunately :(. Is there anything else I can try to resolve it?

Apologies its taken me a while to reply.

Thanks
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Kageoni, thanks for getting back to us. I'm sorry that you are still having issues and the test socket hasn't resolved this.

I have retested your line today and this does show your line is currently banded at 60mb, though again no faults are being detected to show what has caused this.

I have sent off a request to have the line unbanded for you, this should complete within 72 working hours but it does look like we may need to send an engineer.

I have created a fault ticket here for you and we will see how things go after the unband: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=221925968

Let us know how you get on!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Kageoni

Hi Lauren,
I didnt seem to get any increase in speed after the unbanding, I'm afraid. I was checking it every day but didn't see any faster connection speeds.

Will the next step be for an engineer to visit?

Thanks
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to us @Kageoni, and I'm sorry to hear that you have not seen an improvement on your end. testing the line this morning has seen improvements however, with the line currently syncing at 67Mbps. An RRT shows that the increase in sync speed took place within a few days of @LaurenB's DLM reset, so it does look like it resolved the speed issue.

That being said, GEA tests are still failing on the line consistency front, and as per BT Wholesale's recommendation, I've raised a fault for further investigation into what's going on as it's not clear on our end.

Back to speeds, could you please log into your Hub Manager, and access the Helpdesk page in order to find your Data Rate? This will tell us what speeds your router is receiving, a screenshot (make sure you cover up the username) would be handy too.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds