cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed slowed, possibly after Engineer visit?

Ijk571
Hooked

Speed slowed, possibly after Engineer visit?

Hi, I wonder if you can help please.

I'm using the standard supplied modem router, which displays :-

Downstream: 16.49 Mbps
Upstream: 3.203 Mbps

I'm on the Unlimited Fibre package and have been doing speed tests fairly regularly in case I need a record of any issues.

My speed was fairly stable at around 18-19mb download and around 2.5-3 upload. I'm led to believe I'm quite a way from the exchange/cabinet so it's not great to start with. (Openreach have been doing FTTP  recently on the access road where I live, but my road only has underground cables and I've seen no work done in them as yet. There is confusion as OFCOM and BT say I can get Superfast speeds, but PN states I can't get Extra yet,  but that's neither here or there as yet.)

My issue is that an BT engineer came out on the 01/04/2020 to fix a fault on the voice side (Data was unaffected). He renewed the connections in the grey termination box outside and replaced my socket with a new master socket 5C.

Since then my download speeds have tailed off to 14mb or so and upload speeds are variable between 1.9 - 2.9.

I know its only a 4mb but when I only had 18-19 to start with...........

I have tried hardwired etc on different devices at different times of day and night. Upon first joining PN it started at about 20-21mb until the line finished training and I guess the profile to what I had been getting (the 18-19mb)

Any thoughts or ideas please?

Many thanks

9 REPLIES 9
WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Re: Speed slowed, possibly after Engineer visit?

Hi @Ijk571, together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
Ijk571
Hooked

I'll do that thanks, definitely seems to be slower, both testing and in use. I'll report back here...

regards

Ijk571
Hooked

Hi, it's been a while since I raised the issue. After a few line tests it came back as no fault found and the ticket closed. As the speed is above the 11.9mb threshold and my D/L speed is showing as 14.8mb I was told nothing could be done, especially as the router is connecting at about 16.8mb.

One helpdesk operator  initially told me my line was capped at about 16mb, which is why the router is connecting at that speed.  He said he'd request the bar/cap be removed, with no guarantee. The speed didn't change. I queried it again and was then told there was no cap and I kept being told the line tested fine, which I knew.

Pre issue  the router was connecting at around 19mb, with the corresponding 16-17 md D/L speed .

This is a last ditch query to see if it can be looked at / reconfigured or anything can be done to restore what I had before the fault. Stability has never been an issue;

Many thanks.

Ijk571
Hooked

Anyone have any other ideas please?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

What speeds does the BTW checker say you should be getting?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

Post the table, but hide your phone number.

Ijk571
Hooked

Please see attached.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Which router do you have?

It appears that you are quite a long way from the cabinet, and a DLM reset may help increase your spee, but not by much.

If you are anyway near the end of your contract if I were you I would get FTTP installed.

Ijk571
Hooked

I did request a DLM reset at the time of raising the issue, I was advised it was put through and that it may or may not make a difference. I guess not.

My contract is up is July '21 and my fixed line rental ends in Jan '21 so that's an option. I will certainly go FTTP, but I was hoping in the meantime to get it tweaked. I've just make do until then. Thanks for your thoughts Smiley

Ijk571
Hooked

I have the same issue on the Plusnet router and a BT HH6 business router. Although I do now get a slightly faster upload speed with BT router