Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues - Formerly Changing ISP

FIXED
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Changing ISP

@Minivanman  A FTTP customer would not be connecting the router to a Master Socket - VDSL filtered or not!

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Ah yes, fair point. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
christianpjones
Rising Star

@Mustrum wrote:

If you do have problems with your internal wiring, the upload speeds may not be affected, but you won't know until you have a proper filtered master socket, or if you have one where you can access the test socket plug the router into that.

It is totally pointless upgrading to Fibre Extra if your sync speeds are as low as they are - even at 33Mbps they won't magically increase until you get your line sorted, and you see max attainable speeds above 40Mbps.

I am surprised PN have not responded to your ticket yet, have you looked in the member centre for any updates? Odds on they are waiting for you to answer some questions!

As I posted on Monday, I have plugged the router into the test socket. That's how I've had it connected while I've been running the tests.

As for upgrading, my contract was ending in May anyway. PN offered me Fibre Extra for less than Fibre.

Yes, I've logged into the member centre several times to check for updates. The current status on my open ticket is "Awaiting support team answer".

Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Speed issues - Formally Changing ISP

Moderator's Note(s)

Thread moved from My Account/Billing to Fibre Broadband.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @christianpjones

Sorry for the delay in out support team getting back to you. I have checked the open fault on your account and raised the issue to our suppliers. 

From testing today I can absolutely see there's a problem. You're currently syncing at 19Mbps.

Since you've done some troubleshooting and are connected to the test socket as you mention above, our next course of action is to arrange an engineer visit.

I have updated the fault ticket on your account HERE with a request for some time when you are free for an engineer appointment. Please reply to the message and then let us know here on the forums when you have done so. We can get it picked up for you a little faster and prevent any further delays.

christianpjones
Rising Star

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I've updated the fault ticket with a question before I book the visit. Perhaps you can answer it here: apart from testing via the master socket, are there any other checks that I should carry out?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @christianpjones 

Give our troubleshooting guides a look.

For the most part getting connected to your test socket is the most important bit. This eliminates any internal wiring or the socket cover from being the cause of the problem.

You could try another router and/or microfiler however, if this hardware was sent out by us and is within the 12 month warranty then you wouldn't be charged for faulty hardware. 

If you've got any more questions fire away here, we only ask you to reply via ticket for availability as we can't take booking details directly over our forums.

christianpjones
Rising Star

OK, thanks.

The router and microfilter were provided by you almost exactly a year ago: they were sent to me on 11/5/18.

I don't have another router but I'll see if I can find another microfilter.

I don't think anything else in the troubleshooting guides is relevant as everything was working as it should until recently and I haven't changed anything.

christianpjones
Rising Star

By the way, it should be "formerly" not "formally" in the thread title. Lips_are_sealed

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@christianpjones

As i mentioned before, the test socket is the most important bit really.

I've forwarded the ticket back to you if you want to proceed with the engineer visit. Reply to the ticket with your availability and that you're happy to accept the terms.

Then let us know here and we'll get it booked for you.

christianpjones
Rising Star

@Optimatts 

Hello Matt,

I've replied to say that I accept the terms and I've given a couple of timeslots. Hopefully one of them will be suitable.

Thanks.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @christianpjones, thank you for getting back to us.

I have now booked in the appointment for you and have added an update on the fault ticket with the details.

Please get back to us if you have any further issues in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
christianpjones
Rising Star

@LaurenB 

Thank you, Lauren.

christianpjones
Rising Star

The chap from OpenReach has confirmed that the problem is not with the internal wiring. He tested the connection between the local cabinet and the house and got the same sync and download speeds as we're getting at the test socket (~18Mb). He then tested the connection between the local cabinet and the exchange and got 50Mb. He's gone off to investigate.

christianpjones
Rising Star

He has now left, having identified that the issue is between my house and the cabinet (see my previous post about him being able to get 50Mb at the cabinet which is 70m away from the house). He's managed to improve the speeds a bit (sync speeds are now 24.95 down and 11.17 up) but he said he expects this to settle back down to around 18 and 10 over the next few days.

So still not up to the guaranteed minimum speed and a long way short of where it was until recently, and what's available 70m away.

Can someone from PN please let me know if I need to reply to a ticket or do something else to move this to the next step or will that happen automatically following his visit?

Thanks.