Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed cap removal

Penfold70
Dabbler

Speed cap removal

Hi There

I have a question and would very much appreciate it if some could help.

Recently I've been getting much lower speeds than I'm used to (Fibre Extra) used to get around 45/12 , recently it dropped to 28/6 ish. I called PN and coincidentally in the following days it went up to 35.3 down which is suspiciously close to the 35mbps it says in my contract, I have finally got PN to admit my speed is capped at 40mbps which they have agreed to remove. How long does this take ? It's been 24hrs my speeds are rarely above 34/8.

Hope someone can help.

Neal

14 REPLIES 14
Penfold70
Dabbler

Re: Speed cap removal

Anyone from PLusnet help ?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Have you tried dropping the connection, leaving it off for a few minutes then restarting?

If you can't get much above 40/10 have you considered whether it's worth the extra cost of Fibre Extra compared with the 40/10 product?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Penfold70
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick
Thanks for the reply
Yes tried all the usual stuff restarts, different routers, master socket etc.
're the fibre extra....that's what I'm on 😲
In a recent call to Plusnet I was actually told my line was now capped at 40mbps.
Neal
Penfold70
Dabbler

If a Plusnet member could look into my case it would be greatly appreciated, I am getting circa 34mbps on Fibre Extra

Regards
Neal
Penfold70
Dabbler

Just had am email saying order has gone in for line to have correct banding applied.
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@Penfold70,

Are you still having an issue after your discussion with the support team?

Penfold70
Dabbler

Hi @JOLO  

Yes afraid so, line still appears to be banded.

Waiting patiently 😞

Neal

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Penfold70,

I'm sorry to hear that this issue is still ongoing. I've had a further look into this for you now - my response contains some account specific information so I've added this to the fault ticket on your account which you can view here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Penfold70
Dabbler

Hi @EmilyD

Many thanks for the response and your help, as you say 38mbps is within the estimated limits set out in the T&Cs but the estimated line speed is 49mbps and I was getting usually mid 40s but I've still had no explanation why.I as you say could drop to the fibre with 40mbps down and 10 up which I would be happy to do but one of your advisers has already told me even if I did " you're still not guaranteed to get the same speed, it doesn't work like that". Can you clarify if I did drop to the lower package would I get 38mbps or not ?

Neal

Attached image of recent speeds.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Neal.

From what I can see your estimated speeds are:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

High Low High Low  
VDSL Range A (Clean) 54.5 35 12 7.4 32.4

Estimated speeds can change from to time depending on the line quality, and we don't have any control over this.

As your sync rate is below the 40/10 mark, if you downgrade to the Unlimited Fibre package, you shouldn't see any reduction in speed, though due to the way broadband works I can't guarantee that your speeds won't ever drop from 38mbps.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 38.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed

8.7 Mbps

That said, your line is still showing as banded:

Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

I've asked a colleague to request a remote DLM reset. Due to this being a trial for fibre lines, it can typically take around 3 working days to be processed if successful, and due to the time of night it won't be requested until next week.

Could you let us know how your speeds look by the end of next week please?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Penfold70
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf

Again many thanks for you and your teams efforts and I'll certainly see how things go over the next week and keep you posted.

Neal

Penfold70
Dabbler

Hi  again @Gandalf

Kept an eye on speeds over past week and sadly there's no improvement.

Is an engineer an option ?

Surely an estimated line speed of 49mb and historic actual speeds of 45mb dropping to ~35 is cause for concern ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Neal

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Neal.

It would be a cause for concern if your estimates weren't at 35mbps, but as your speeds are within target there's not much we can do I'm afraid. Estimates can be revised over time depending on the quality and degradation of the line.

It's likely that an engineer will return the job as no fault found, incurring a call-out fee.

That said I've asked for your account be added to the tracker for another go at a DLM reset. Fingers by the end of this week you see improved speeds.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Penfold70
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf

I do appreciate all the stuff about line quality and I would be quite happy with ~35mb if that was what I was paying for. When I signed up I was promised ~45mbps which was exactly what you provided and I was happy. I would be quite happy to drop to the fibre unlimited @ the advertised price which has got the exact same advertised average download as I'm getting if this is now all my line will support.

Neal