cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Nudge Please.

bustermissy1961
Grafter

Re: Speed Nudge Please.

Well lets hope Plusnet get in touch with BT Openreach and get them told about said Capacity Issues.
Photik
Dabbler

Quote from: mlmclaren
Quote from: bustermissy1961
Never the less there is something majorly wrong when someones speeds can go from 74Mbps to 26Mbps.

I agree something is majorly wrong and as @MatthewWheeler has explained their is a capacity issue at your exchange, until that is fixed you will continue to have speed issues... this will be the case whether or not you have a G.INP capable modem or not...
I can also confirm that so far nobody has reported any speed losses more than 10mbps due to G.INP incompatibility...
I'm afraid there is nothing Plusnet can do regarding the bandwidth and you will have to wait until capacity is upgraded at the exchange by their suppliers.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4280605877
Have been keeping an eye on these threads lately. I an confirm I have an ECI.......now dropping round 20Mbps to 60 Mbps from a clean constant 80Mbps. Exchange is literally 4 houses down the road. Not happy
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I went and bought the Huwaei HG612 modem to help resolve the ECI modem issue. You are correct in that the customer should not have to do this but what made it a little more palatable for me was that the HG612 can be easily unlocked and you can see a lot of information about your connection - and that is useful for improving your connection, asking for help, backing up speed issues with data etc etc.
So whilst you shouldn't have to buy another modem, the 10 pounds (incl delivery) I spent on mine is worth it just for the stats, if nothing else.
Still waiting to see if it improves the latency issue on my line - time will tell.
somebloke
Grafter

Quote from: jafreer
So whilst you shouldn't have to buy another modem, the 10 pounds (incl delivery) I spent on mine is worth it just for the stats, if nothing else.

That's cheap as chips (with cod, and peas), are all Huawei HG612, flashable/unlockable?
mlmclaren
Grafter

Note heard of any that aren't  Smiley
bustermissy1961
Grafter

Ouch that's a sickener Photik i thought i lived pretty close to my exchange. with my exchange being a rural one the cabinet im on is a small one so i take it its a  ECI cabinet does that make any difference regarding if in the future i go out and buy myself a different modem or have i got to stick with these  ECI modems from openreach.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Currently we can't can't comment on whether buying G.INP equipment will improve your connection as your exchange is suffering from a capacity shortage... until this is sorted we won't be able to diagnose successfully...
As far as identifying your cabinet goes you will have to either take a picture and upload it on here for us to see or find the exact same cabinet on Google images or a website somewhere.
All VDSL2 complaint kit will work with any VDSL (Fibre) cab but whether it will work with G.INP or if you cabinet is G.INP enabled/capable can't be answered yet as were not sure of your cabinets manufacturer and the issues you face are due to the capacity shortage at the exchange.
bustermissy1961
Grafter

It isnt on google maps because it hasnt been there very long. its the smaller one which is the ECI cabinet.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Just because its small, don't mean its ECI at all... Actually the smallest cabinet is actually a 96 connection on and that manufactured by Huawei....
Does you cab look like this one

or this one
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

If buying an HG612, I suggest making sure it is a revision 3B one. I think that is the latest revision.
The 3B one (can't speak for others) was VERY easy to upgrade and unlock.
Regarding cabinet types, the following link will help identify...
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm
bustermissy1961
Grafter

It looks like the first pic.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Based on that pic, it as an ECI 128/256 FTTC cabinet
bustermissy1961
Grafter

So would it make any difference to me if i got a different modem than the openreach one i have now and putting into consideration Plusnet are saying my exchange is suffering from some sort of capacity issues.
AndyH
Grafter

Which exchange are you on? The modem won't make any difference to a capacity problem.
mlmclaren
Grafter

@bustermissy1961
ECI cabinets have not yet been upgraded though I do believe a roll out has begun just days ago, currently I wouldn't suggest changing equipment as it won't benefit you.. until the exchange capacity issues is sorted out I would just leave your setup as it is.