Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Super Fibre

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Slow Super Fibre

That's actually wrong. With FTTC the line speed is dependant on distance to the fibre cabinet, NOT the exchange.
arpswetman
Dabbler

Sorry I meant the cabinet, cabinet 9 is 900m away from my house
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Unfortunately on FTTC the speeds drop quicker over distance than standard broadband.

When FTTC first goes live in a area some lines may have estimates which can't be achieved due to a mixture of reasons.

Over time you may find the estimates for your line drop to reflect what your currently getting.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

@MatthewWheeler, have you raised the incorrect wording in the email with anyone?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Just fed that back now.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
arpswetman
Dabbler

Now everything should have settled down. I'm still only getting 57/58 mbs is this normal? If the bushes weren't in front of my house I could see junction box nine from my front door.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Testing your connection shows you're in sync the smallest amount above the low end of the estimate for your line (Sync'd at 61.8Mbps with a low end estimate of 61.7Mbps)

Having said this, the test is also advising of a suspected phone fault. When testing the phone line, no fault is found Sad

Could you try removing the faceplate of the master socket and connecting to the test socket to see if this gives any improvement please. This should rule out problems with internal wiring/the faceplate itself.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
arpswetman
Dabbler

The faceplate is the new type with 2 sockets, one for Phone which is unused and the other for broadband
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

What you do is take the front off. Depending on the type of faceplate this is either clipped on or you remove two screws. You will then find another socket inside. Plug a different filter into this (you should have had one supplied with your router) and plug your router into the filter and try again preferable with nothing plugged in to the phone socket. This not only removes all your internal wiring (if any) from the circuit, it also allows the line to be tested with a different filter. This way if there is still a fault it is not being caused by you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

arpswetman
Dabbler

Tested through the test socket twice. 56.89 and 57.63
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

That's not a bad throughput for the speed your router is in sync at [61.6mbps]

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
arpswetman
Dabbler

I don't think it's that good that's a 30mbps drop from what I'm paying for. I don't expect 70s for one minute, but I would expect mid 60s
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Unfortunately with the speeds being within the estimates there isn't anything further our suppliers will be able to do.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
arpswetman
Dabbler

It's just a shame that customers are not made aware of this before they sign up to contracts. I don't think that many would be so keen if they were told that out of the 78mbps they signed up for they would get just 57mbps maximum. It's like going into a petrol station and paying for 78 litres of fuel, but only getting 73% of what they paid for. I thing more transparency is needed so that customers are not misled in any way. Thanks for looking into this for me and your quick responses
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

Hi @arpswetman

The estimated speeds are given during sign up.  If you sign up online then they are quite clearly displayed before you get anywhere near the payment screens, and if you do it on the phone then they will be read out to you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.